Saturday, March 19, 2005

Withdrawal

I have been bad, bad, bad. The drill seargent in my head is getting very angry. I guess I needed an R&R week (rest and relaxation to avoid overtraining). I know I can justify it. I've been distracted with the news of moving to San Diego. I've been crazy busy in lab. Training got pushed down on the priority list. Not getting home until 10 pm at night from lab certainly saps my energy, and I felt dead the rest of the week. But I definitely took a few extra days to myself. Today, after lab, I had a nice, relaxing massage. Afterwards, a restorative nap. I'm thoroughly pampered.
Okay, okay, I've been bad. So what? A few days off won't kill me. Tomorrow is a new day. I'm beginning to feel jittery. Insomnia is setting in. Restlessness. I feel like a heroin addict going through withdrawal. Maybe that's a bit dramatic, but exercise is addictive.
Tomorrow, I'm going to push this behind me and get back to myself. Get back to a secure, comforting routine. I'm not moving until late summer, maybe fall. I'm not going to put my life on hold that entire time. I'm going to continue living my life here, and enjoy my last spring and summer in this city (stinking, rotton city that it is--more on that another time) as best as I can. Each day is a fresh start, a new beginning.
The 1/2 marathon is in 3 weeks. That means only 3 long runs left. Tomorrow, I have a 10-mile run scheduled. I'm programming my MP3 player, refrigerating my Propel and getting my fuel belt ready. Get the ice bags ready (actually frozen veggies work best). The temperature will be in the upper 40s to low 50s. Perfect. I'm well-rested and uninjured. In fact, I may feel so fresh tomorrow, I may have to hold myself back. I just hope I didn't trigger my body into an early taper. I'm still learning the art of this training stuff.

No comments: