Thursday, March 17, 2005

well-rested and california dreamin'

I've been told my last few posts have been sort of depressing. I'll try to be more uplifting. My time spent in the cold room proved fruitful. I had gobs of purified protein. Now onto the next step. Plus, spending long time periods in cold temperatures increases your VO2 max so it might help my endurance (I'd rather run, personally). I hate cold weather.
I've been spending a lot of time sleeping, much to the dismay of the buns, who miss snuggle and story time. (I don't care if you don't believe me. They LOVE story time. Especially Lemony Snickett's "A Series of Unfortunate Events.") They've been kind of mad at me, especially for vacuuming, but at least the litterboxes are clean, and the hay is off the floor! I'm going to start bonding grumpy, big, black Oscar with my baby girl, Babs, and Tazzer-schmazer-mookie bear (aka Taz). Yes, they all have nicknames.
Anyway, I'm well rested, and it's time to start getting the triathlon training back in gear. I went for a nice, relaxing run yesterday. I have to remember not to play catch-up for the last few days. I have to maintain my running base for the 1/2 marathon in April. And, I have to start increasing the bike for the Memphis in May triathlon coming up. I'm excited about those races. I bought new shoes for the 1/2 marathon, and I'm breaking them in on shorter runs. My feet are mad at me. I love my callouses. I need to build them up to prevent blisters. Guess I'll never be a foot model. Jason and I also need to et wetsuits for the Memphis in May triathlon b/c it will be in a lake, and it will be cold. We need to practice swimming in them too. Hmmm. Another glorious expense that will make Jason happy. By the way, if any of you are thinking of getting an iPod for running, Don't. They SUCK. I'm on my second one, and it crashes every time I run. It's going back. I hate it. I'm back to using my good ole' trusty MP3 player. It SUCKS!!!
Because of the move to San Diego (hopefully in August), my big races are scheduled for early in the season this year. It's only my second season, but I'm hoping to improve. I'm moving up from sprint to Olympic distance, baby! I want to get comfortable with that before I even start thinking half-Iron-anything. I think I will end my season early this year to get well-adjusted with the move and not overwhelm myself. Then, I'll keep working on my base and maintain my fitness so as not to lose anything. If I'm ready for some smaller races that I can enter last-minute later on, then fine. But nothing big, except for the 1/2 in April and Memphis in May. Next year, I can plan more races, if I choose. I have to hold myself back; I can get a little overzealous!
I'm so excited about the move to San Diego, it's all I can think about. I've booked plane tickets, a rental car, and a hotel for the last week in April so we can find a place to live, financial aid (poor students and expensive cities aren't a good mix), and hopefully, a postdoc for me. I've read all the vacation guides on San Diego so I know all about the beaches, scuba diving, triathlon stuff, biking, running, zoo, animal park, and Sea World. The really important stuff, right?

No comments: