Saturday, June 26, 2021

It takes 4 weeks for the runner's high!

 It has been 4 weeks since working out regularly again and 1 week of counting calories and minding my nutrition. I have lost 3 pounds (15 more to go). I'm trying to focus on the positives and not beat myself up about the negatives. I feel so slow, and the workouts are kicking my ass. I keep forgetting that I'm not training for an Ironman and can relax and just enjoy the workouts. When I start trying to meet a workout "quota" (like 3 swims, runs, and bikes a week), I bite off more than I can chew and get discouraged. Instead, I'm trying to focus on working out 6 days a week with 1 recovery day (just walking that day). After feeling beat up from workouts that felt waayy  harder than they should have been for the last few days, I've decided to just swim today. I tried to get into the pool but the stupid lane reservation-COVID precaution thing is ridiculous. So, I'll be off to Gull Park today to turn an open water workout into more of a pool workout (swimming laps in the cove instead of a long, out-and-back swim). 

Friday, 6/25/2021: Runner's High! I almost didn't work out today. This evening, feeling guilty, I did weights after dinner. Then, I took Juneau for a run. I wanted to do at least 3 miles. I soon as I took my first step, I knew it was going to be a good run. I felt that familiar spring in my step, which had been absent for the past few months. Finally! Maybe it was the cool evening breeze, or maybe it was 4 weeks of consistent running, but it didn't matter. From the very first step, I felt like I was in love all over again for the first time. My feet floated along the road; my ankles were like springs. I easily found my old pace, like an old friend. My mind floated above as my legs independently carried me along. The pace was effortless and fast. I had intended to just do 3 miles but found myself adding on extra loops. I ran through a new neighborhood, marveling at the large houses. I ran 5.5 miles and definitely could have gone farther. Looking forward to my next run. Here's the route.

Thursday, 6/24/2021: 28-mile bike on Torch. I totally underestimated this ride. Either it was much hillier than I realized, or I'm much more out of climbing shape than I realized. Probably both. I rode North on Alameda de las Pulgas, cut west on Ralston, and then came back on Canada Rd. Route can be found here: I think I did this one time before, only took Edgewood (after) instead of Ralston. (I remember that ride also being harder than anticipated.) Ralston was very dangerous--no shoulder or bike lane, speeding cars, very discourteous. I almost got run off the road twice. Not sure if intentional or just not paying attention, but terrifying, nonetheless. I felt completely worn out after this ride. My muscles were weak and tired. Route

Wednesday, 6/23/2021: My brain is in summer vacation mode. I had forgotten about my goldfish at school.* I decided to run with Juneau to school and run home. I could modify the run as I chose--anywhere from 3-5 miles. Despite my rest day, my body felt tired and my muscles felt weak. I planned on running to the park and doing a loop before continuing on to school (Route here). That way, if I chose to run home along Middlefield, it would cover my minimum goal mileage for the day. This ended up being a solid 4.2-mile run. Here's the route. Oh, I also did weights!

Tuesday, 6/22/2021: Rest Day--I felt completely sore from head-to-toe, weak, and exhausted. My body was telling me to rest. I walked the dog. Does that count?


Do you care about my goldfish at school? No? Skip the following paragraphs! 

*I have a 40-gallon "rescue tank"** at school. It currently houses 4** goldfish and 2 minnows. The tank is accessorized with a filter, aerator, and automatic feeder. During the school year, I check on them and feed them daily. Over breaks less than 2 weeks, the tank is on an automatic feeder that is, unfortunately, quite finicky. Otherwise, I check on them once every ten days to change their water and check the feeder.  

**I inherited the goldfish from a colleague at the beginning of summer break after my 2nd year of teaching. He didn't anticipate they would live through the students' "Eco-Column" projects. They cost 15 cents each. The 4 that survived are now 8-9 years old. The tank is a bit small but I fear they wouldn't survive in a pond (one has cataracts, and they no longer seem to mind if I touch them). My favorite, Carrot Top, is actually 9 years old. I actually purchased him as a pet when I moved back to the Bay Area. Originally, he was white with an orange patch on his head. Oddly, over the past year, the orange has receded to just a ring around his eyes. I don't have names for the other ones, which is very unlike me. Maybe Cat (-aracts), Goldie (for obvious reasons), Ghostie (again, obvious). 

***The tank had 5 goldfish but Shrimpy finally passed during quarantine, despite the automatic feeder (set too conservatively to preserve water quality). Born blind, he had always been smaller than the other fish. He didn't thrive, and I always feared he'd be the first to go. Still, I felt horrible when I came to change the water one week and found his little skeleton, picked clean, at the bottom of the tank. 

You're welcome!




No comments: