Tuesday, July 12, 2005

What was the best thing that happened to you today?

I like to ask myself this before I go to bed at night. It helps me focus on the positive. It's therapeutic. Today hasn't really gone as I had hoped. Way too much lab, too much exhaustion, too much junk-food eating, too little exercise.

Highlights of my day today:

1. 7:00 a.m. Wake-up sex.
2. 7:45 a.m. Realized there was no electricity.
3. 8:00 a.m. Showered in the darks. Mildly exciting.
4. 8:15 a.m.-9:20 a.m. Cleaned litterboxes w/o vacuum cleaner or a.c.; very strenuous
5. 8:30 a.m. Enjoyed Oscar's antics as he investigated Jason's toes
6. 10:00 a.m. Power returns! A weird part of me is disappointed; the excitement of a new challenge is gone; the normal part of me is relieved.
The good part about the power going out: we realized it was nice enough to turn off the a.c. and open the windows. Ahhh, the fresh smell of rain. Thank you Hurricane Dennis remnants!
7. 10:30 a.m. Had a very positive, productive talk with P.I. This makes my day b/c I can rest easy. I'm still on her good side after her week-long vacation in Italy (jealousy sets in). Phew. Anxiety dissipates.
8. 10:45 a.m. Try to clean radioactivity out of centrifuge rotor (which has been soaking in "Count-Off" overnight) to no avail. My attempts are futile. Rotor is still screaming hot.
This creates a new word of the day: "screaming hot."
9. 11:10 a.m. Guzzle down grande, skim, triple-shot latte. Realize I've become one of those people who drink grande, skim, triple-shot lattes and am ashamed.
10. 11:20 a.m. IBS kicks in, making stomach queasy and achy for next few hours. Probably as a result of the grande, skim, triple-shot latte. Lose appetite for lunch.
11. 3:00 p.m. After running around madly in lab, succumb to overwhelming urge to return to coffe shop downstairs for more caffeine. Decide on green tea alternative to coffee. However, eat disgustingly gargantuan, chewy, gooey chocolate-chip cookie and feel extremely guilty about it afterwards.
12. 3:15 p.m. Endorphins from chocolate kick-in, putting me in a dream-like state of ecstasy. Effects don't last long. They should concentrate the chemicals in chocolate and fashion a new recreational drug out of it. Mmmmmm. Chocolate.
13. 8:16 p.m. Feelings of exhaustion are all-consuming. Still stuck in lab. Realize intentions and desires to exercise will probably not be met tonight. More overwhelming feelings of guilt and failure.

Ugh. What a day. Am looking forward to getting home, vegging on the couch, and watching t.v. This will be the highlight of my day.


Kevin said...

The best thing that happened to me yesterday was finally getting home as well. I cant stand going non-stop all day everyday...but that is my life, and I have adapted to that. i love the last couple of hours of the day though...i have peace and quiet, i can read, i can relax with a half hour of a sitcom and not think about life for a moment, i can do whatever...and that doesnt happen much at all during the daytime hours.

Mon said...

LOL! Latte's do the same thing to me! Ack! The best thing that happened to me yesterday? I got the night off work, and got to act like a normal person who does things during daylight hours and has company over! lol! It's nice to relax once in a while!!
Although, I cant say that our storm in Ohio cooled things off, it became incredibly humid and miserable!

Rachel said...

Isn't it funny that the best thing that happens to us all day is when we get to do nothing?

Rita said...

Wake up sex? You get wake up sex? Hmm, I think my significant other is shafting me on that deal. No pun intended ;)

Rachel said...

Personally, I think nightime sex is better.

G-Man said...

And wake up sex wasn't the highlight of your day? My gawd! Just waking up beside you would be the highlight of the year for me.

Rachel said...

Awww. That's so sweet. Thank you for that. I guess I take wake-up sex for granted. That's bad, huh? Poor, Jason. He always is second behind the bunnies. I'll have to make it up to him.