Friday, July 08, 2005

Little Oasis in My Crazy Life

Things have been a whirlwind of activity, as usual. I'm trying to keep my head above water, but there's always more to do. I wish I could feel like I'm making progress when I accomplish so much so that I could earn some down-time. Maybe this weekend...maybe. Last night, after over a week of successfully waking up early (yea me!), I went to bed at 9 p.m. and woke up at 10 a.m. Oops. Apparently I was tired. Maybe I just needed to rest.
I've been more and more successful at following my rules (e.g. eating healthfully, cutting back on desserts, going to bed early and waking up early, exercising consistently, etc.), which makes me very happy. I feel like I'm in more of a routine. I am finally getting my energy back. Why does relaxing and having fun take so much effort? It's ironic.
Jason got back from Wisconsin. He's my voice of reason. He convinced me not to do the Matoon Triathlon this weekend. I'm tired, and he's not ready. We compromised. We're going to do the Stoneman Triathlon the following weekend, Saturday, July 16th in Springfield, IL. I'll be more rested and the swim is shorter. Plus, the Show-Me-State Games in Columbia is the following weekend. We want to do that too. So I'll still get to do a ton of fun stuff.
In the meantime, I'm getting my exercising legs back. I'm hoping to go on a training bike ride this weekend with the Bicycle Fun Club. I'm also getting ready for the move to San Diego (for Jason) in less than a month. Tying up loose ends. Packing, little by little.
I signed a lease for an apartment across the street from lab where I can live once Jason is gone (with the bunnies). It's safer and not as lonely as being in a big, empty house by myself. Plus, it's furnished so I don't have to move anything afterwards. I'm excited. It's a loft. I've never lived in a loft before, and I've always wanted to. I'm nervous too. Anxiety about all the changes. It's natural, I think.
I've been gardening a lot. It looks great. I love being out there. It's so alive and I love tending to it. I love all the birds that flock to the feeder and bird bath. I love the pollen-laden honeybees lumbering atop the purple coneflowers. I love the butterflies beginning to find their way to the butterfly bush. And every week, a new flower begins to bloom--a happy surprise. A little oasis in my crazy life.


Bicycle Fun Club Ride 7/10 big_bottle_flyer.pdfhttp://www.touringcyclist.com/calendar/ev293.html
Stoneman Triathlon 7/16 http://www.stonemantri.com/
Touring Cyclist Duathlon 7/17 http://www.trailnet.org/documents/05-6-bfc-
Show-Me-State Games 7/24 http://www.smsg.org/sports/sports_info.asp?Area=TA

No comments: