Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Crazy busy--life is normal

Less than a month until the move to San Diego. I feel pretty good about it. We're getting all our final doctor's appts. for the year and have all the utilities lined up, parking permit for the ABF trailer, plane tickets, etc. Check, check. I even have a furnished apartment lined up across the street from lab after Jason moves out. I move into my little loft Sept. 1. I'm excited. It's a very nice place, and I've always wanted to live in a loft. It will be safer and more comfy than living in a big, empty house by myself. And, yes, I'll still have the bunnies.
Simultaneously, lab has been busy, and I've been an exercising fiend. These things have been giving me some semblance of routine and comfort to my life. I'm going to bed and waking up regularly----YES!
After the races I did over 4th of July weekend, I was pooped. I finally jumped into the pool the next day--for the first time in 3 months. It was hard. However, I did it. I just took my time. Right now, I'm focusing on my form and base building. Swimming in sets of 10 laps with active recovery in between.
I've been really enjoying my workouts and not pushing myself so hard. I even took the computer off my bike so I don't focus so much on how fast I'm going. I just listen to my body. And guess what? I'm going faster than ever! Taking the computer off helped. So does working out on the trainer. I love it! Getting better by trying less and having more fun. Works for me!
Friday, Jason and I went for a run. I let him go in front so I could take my time and not kill myself. I wanted to take it easy after the races. The last thing I want to do right now is shred my knees or tear my hip. Usually, I'm so competitive that I get furious when he takes off in front of me, but this time, I was so zen about it! It was great. Plus, I had my shuffle so I just jammed the whole time. Then, we rented a movie, and I dragged my weights upstairs and worked out while watching the movie. Talk about multi-tasking!
Saturday, Jason and I woke up early to get in a swim. Go us for waking up early on a Saturday! I felt so productive. That evening, we jumped on the bike and did loops around Forest Park. Wheeee!
Sunday, we strapped the bikes to the car and went over to Collinsville, IL for a Bicycle Fun Club ride. It was AWESOME and exhausting. I love my bike! It fits me like a glove. The ride was very hilly. We went through three towns and ended up going 33.5 miles. Whew! That's a lot for me. It took us over two hours. The rest of the day, we just ate and slept. I nursed Jason's sunburn with lotion and ibuprofen (poor guy) while I am now sporting a nice (albeit skin-damaging) tan.
It feels so good to be an exercising fiend. This weekend, we're headed up to Springfield, IL for the Stoneman Triathlon! I'm so nervous!


RosieBoo said...

Good luck at the Triathlon!! Go you! (I love that phrase from your blog, 'Go us for waking up early...') :)

Rachel said...

Thanks, Rosieboo!