Monday, July 25, 2005

Out of It

I'm trying to get more accomplished this week. I have to present at lab meeting on Friday, my sister comes on Wednesday, and we have a huge party on Saturday, so I have some incentive to get a ton done.
It's been hotter than hell here so the only way to run outside is to do it first thing in the morning. Quite a challenge for the non-morning person. Somehow, I got out of bed at 6:30, and Jason and I went out for a very nice 4.5 mile run. Although it was around 90 already with the heat index, it was doable. Better than running on the treadmill. More interesting, at least.
I think waking up so early put my brain on a different frequency from everyone else. (Jason says it's the squirrel wavelength). As I was running, these two guys came up behind me on bikes shouting, "Yeah, Baby. Alright. That's what I'm talking about." I didn't even realize they were talking about me until they passed me. I thought it was part of the track on the song I was listening to on my iShuffle.
Later, I told Jason of my ignorant moment and he laughed. He was making fun of me and jamming along, singing, "That's what I'm talking about." I looked at him with a weird look on his face. "The Happy Cow?" I asked. He looked at me funny. I swear! That's what I thought he said! Jeez. I'm losing my hearing at 27. I'm going to turn into my Dad.
Driving Jason to work, he was warning me about all the construction going on around the building where he works. I got all confused again. So much so, I couldn't speak. He looks at me and says, "What are you confused about?"
"You work at a different place now?" I asked, totally out of it. Jeez. What is wrong with me?
That's not all. Then, he was talking about slow, fat people trying to make it across the street in front of oncoming traffic. I was listening to him and this commercial on the radio simultaneously about spaying and neutering pets. "Not going to make it, Shamu!" Jason says. I replied, "Yeah, but at least people are trying."
"What?" he says, giving me a weird look.
"You know. You got to start somewhere."
"What are you talking about?"
"Spaying and neutering pets...Oh."
"Maybe you should just go home."

Maybe I should.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, I've had days where I just flake out like that too, Rachel. But at least you have a lot of awesome data to show for lab meeting!

Rachel said...

Ugh. Another thing I have to do. I don't feel like it's awesome either.