Fiasco--that would be a good name for a horse. I like way it rolls off your tongue. Fiasco.
Anywho, that's not what this post is about. This post is about how crazy it is to move. A headache, I am getting (Yoda speak). So, the plan is very complicated now, but I've made all the reservations. Yipee! Here's how the twisted triangle of moving will play out:
1. ABF drops off 28-foot trailer. We pack it. They pick it up.
2. We fly out to San Diego 1-2 days before ABF gets there.
3. Take cab to U-Haul place.
4. Pick up 10-ft U-Haul truck (you'll understand in a sec).
5. Drive to apartment and meet dad with Nissan pick-up truck and bed.
6. Unload bed, park pick-up truck in parking spot (for Jason until we bring out car in Dec.)
7. Shop for groceries and cleaning supplies and get apartment ready for move-in. (Utilities are scheduled to begin the day before we arrive).
8. Bunk out in new, empty apartment as we wait for ABF (or stay in hotel). Hmmm. Money? Or comfort? Hmmmm.
9. ABF drops off trailer at apartment. Meet mover we have hired for the day to help with heavy stuff.
10. Unload sister's stuff into U-Haul truck.
11. Unload rest of stuff into apartment.
12. Dad drives sister's stuff up to parent's house until sister's apartment becomes available in September.
13. Help Jason finish unpacking. Fly back to St. Louis.
14. Jason begins graduate school.
15. Defend in December.
16. DHL ship rest of stuff to San Diego.
17. Load up bunnies and suitcases into Corolla and drive back to San Diego in December.
Phew! I'm tired just thinking about this. I have ABF, U-Haul, and plane ticket reservations. I have packed 50% of stuff. I have the plan worked out with parents and sister. I have the gas and electric set up. Am I forgetting something?
I keep getting criticized for planning everything so early. "You're not moving until December," they say. "Actually, it's August," I reply. Anyway, why should I be ashamed that I'm organized? That I'm planning ahead. It's only a little over 2 months away. And it's going to get hectic. Why not plan it now, when I have the time, when I can get the best rates, and not have to worry about it anymore?