Saturday, August 13, 2022

New Year, New Me

The 2021-22 school year was tough. Really tough. In some ways, tougher than the year before, which surprised me. I didn't think anything could be tougher than distance learning. I let myself go, stopped taking care of myself, and devoted myself 100% to teaching. It was not sustainable.

This summer, I've had a chance to heal, rest, recover, and reflect. As I've gotten older, I've realized taking care of myself and being healthy is more important than ever. I gain weight more easily. Sleeping well is more difficult. Alcohol and caffeine have more negative impacts. I needed to actively reestablish healthy routines.

After 7 weeks of hard work, I'm proud to say I'm on a much healthier path. I've been choosing moderation over completely eliminating things from my diet, which has worked well. I've been counting calories and exercising. I've lost 9 pounds (I have about 11 more to go). I've gained muscle. I have more energy and feel more productive. I've been doing Yoga to work on stress relief and  recovery for my muscles. I feel stronger. Not every day is easy, and it's hard work, really hard work, but I'm proud of myself. 

As the school year approaches (next week), I'm nervous. Will I be able to maintain my healthy habits this year? What will make this year different from previous ones? I'm not sure, but I'm motivated and am not giving up. I'm planning on exercising every day and preparing by setting up workouts as appointments. I'm going to bring my workout clothes to school so I do it before I get home. I know not every day will be perfect, but I'm going to do the best I can. I'm not giving up.

I've signed up for the Sandman Triathlon (August 21). This will be my 3rd (4th?) time doing it. I'm not fast, but I'm excited about this fun, challenging race. I feel ready for it. If it goes well, I will sign up for more races. 

Keeping on, keeping on. 

No comments: