Saturday, July 08, 2023

Still Going Strong!

 I realize it's been about a year since I posted, but this time is different. I've worked out almost every day since the last time I posted, gained a ton of fitness, and shed 20 pounds! I've been racing successfully and feeling very healthy and fit. I recently joined the Silicon Valley Tri Club and am excited to be making new workout friends!

This morning, I met up with the "Water Dogs" at Cowell's Beach in Santa Cruz. It was early, which means almost no traffic. The water was calm and a balmy 58 degrees. My wetsuit and ear plugs protected me from the brunt of the cold, and I quickly warmed up and found a comfortable pace as we made our way around the pier. I soon found myself in the back, as expected, but I didn't mind. I'm used to swimming by myself. At the end of the pier, I paused to take in the view. It was serene as the morning sun reflected off the glassy water and the fog in the distance began to lift. Too close to the sea lions in the pier, one barked at me and jumped into the water, headed in my direction. Warning heeded, I quickly continued swimming. The group was waiting for me on the beach by the Boardwalk when I exited the water. It was a lovely, must-be-repeated experience.

Yesterday, I enjoyed an 8-mile run through the Redwoods in Huddart Park. I was worried since it had been awhile since I had run that far. Surprisingly, I settled into an easy pace, bracing myself for the grueling 4 mile slog up the switchbacks towards Skyline. It was hard, but not too hard. My feet felt like springs, and I focused on keeping the momentum, bouncing from foot to foot as I trotted short strides up the steep hills. The wind began to sing through the trees, and I noticed a thick mist up ahead. Soon, it began to rain big fat droplets, pinging off the branches around me. Surprisingly, I did not get wet. I saw a large banana slug outstretched on the wet path beside me, antennae curiously outstretched, probing. "Hello, friend!" I called out. I rarely see banana slugs on the east side of Skyline so I took it as a good omen. Soon, I was cavorting down the final 3 mile downhill stretch back to the car, my favorite part. I took my time, wishing it was longer. What an incredible run!

Keep on, keeping on. Lots more to post, including:

Bonking and redemption Pescadero Coast Loop Ride

Lots of races!--Stanford Treeathlon, Tri for Fun Olympic in Rancho Seco, and Sonoma Olympic (Guerneville) as well as some fun trail half marathons--China Camp (several times--the ankle grabber) and Woodside Ramble.

Stanford Treeathlon (March 2023)

Redwood Shores. Very cold (air temp 50 (maybe) and water (52). Swim was cancelled as a result. Bike flat and fast but boring (several out-and-backs). flat and fast 5k run. Long wait time between transition closing (7 am) and my race wave start (10 am).


 












Santa Cruz Olympic Tri (September, 2023)



I love this race--consistently professional, well-organized, fun and fast. 

Swim: about a mile from the Boardwalk to the Pier. 

Somewhat of a run from swim exit to transition area (1/2 mile?) but I do it barefoot. Some wear shoes, strategically placed at the swim exit. 

Bike: 40k along Hwy 1 and very scenic with gorgeous views of the Pacific to the west. Course is rolling hills. Weather is usually very pleasant (60s-70s). 

Run: Flat and fast 10k with scenic views of the ocean. 

No comments: