Wednesday, July 07, 2021

Gaining Weight and other Mundane Frustrations

 I overate one day--4th of July. I planned on it. I had been cutting calories and would still have a net deficit. How is that I am 5 lbs heavier?! Makes no sense. Despite this confusing setback, I'm pushing through. Continuing to count calories and work out. I'm hoping that over time, things will get easier and the weight will go down. 

The workouts continue! My legs have been really sore but I found that working through it actually makes them feel better faster. I haven't had a rest day in awhile but I'm beginning to prefer it that way. Rest days seem to become rest weeks for me. I'm enjoying the consistency and structure of my daily workouts. I feel like my body can always do something

I have been more tired though--taking lots of naps. My workouts are in the evenings, when I have the most energy. I'm fortunate to be able to have the freedom to plan my schedule with such flexibility. 

Tuesday, July 6: After Monday's bike ride (which I feel really good about--climbing Old La Honda), I was really supposed to swim, but it didn't happen. Juneau and went for a 5.5 mile run in Holbrook-Palmer Park and Lindenwood. Flat and fast. I felt zippy. I followed it up with a weights session.

Wednesday, July 7: Solid 1.5 mile swim in Gull Park. I'm beginning to play in the water and linger a bit more. I'm just having so much fun. I do a warm-up and cool-down in the cove by the beach. Then I headed out to Marlin Park with the current. Had a blast powering through the current and chop fighting me on the return. Very therapeutic. 


2 comments:

Alinda said...

When I re-start working out or increase volume I also gain weight. It’s just extra water and extra blood volume while the muscles figure out the new routine. I also gain even more when I workout in hot weather. All water retention ! Enjoy getting stronger!!!

Rachel said...

Alinda,

Thanks so much for your comment! I think you're right. I just have to be patient. Over time, the weight will trend downwards. I am enjoying the workouts more. It's getting more fun!