Sunday, November 22, 2009

Fantastic Weekend

I had a fantastic weekend. Can't get into all the gory details but it's definitely in the top 10. Started Saturday with a 50-miler in Camp Pendleton. Felt so good to be back in the saddle. Rode with a few good friends at a social pace for most of the ride. Perfect weather, gorgeous views, good company, what more can you ask for? We picked up the pace the last 10 miles, finishing strong. I didn't even feel tired (and it's been a long time since I rode 50); I felt invigorated. Afterwards, I had some coffee with a friend, took Travis to dog beach and ran sprints with him in the water for 45 minutes until we were both exhausted.

I stayed out late Saturday (like the 1 time a year I do that) so I napped most of Sunday away. Soooo relaxing. Sunday night, I grabbed Travis (my protector) and my headlamp and ventured out for a nighttime run. It was gorgeous. Just cool enough that my breath puffed smoke with each breath like a dragon. My legs felt like springs; I floated over the ground. Travis trotted happily beside me; my steadfast companion. The stars glittered spectacularly overhead, blinded only by the sliver of the new moon, smiling like the Cheshire Cat. Indeed, I felt like Alice running along in the surreal shrouded darkness. Afterwards, I was both tired and energized somehow, stuck in a paradox. I followed it up with weights on my new Life Fitness Functional Trainer (soooo nice) while watching Grey's Anatomy re-runs. Think it's time for sleep!

2 comments:

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

That night run sounds wonderful! There's a park here where it's safe to run in the pre-dawn hours, but only because there are lights and other runners out there. No real communion with nature and the night.

I'm glad you had a great weekend!

Sarah said...

That sounds like THE weekend, glad you had a good one :) I am jealous of that run!