Thursday, August 15, 2019

Biking When It's Hot

I'm in my 4th week of workouts, and I'm continuing to work out 6x a week, despite school having started. I've even been waking up in the morning and doing weights! Feels so good. We've been having a heat wave so it's been in the 90s, sucking all my motivation to work out out the door. Signing up for races is helping me be consistent. No excuses! I think about how bad I will feel if I don't work out, and it gets me out the door.

Today, I did a 20 mile bike ride with rolling hills in Woodside/Portola Valley. Coined "The Loop" around here, it's very scenic but it started out broiling. I went counterclockwise, which always feels a bit more challenging for me--steeper climbs. I also took Torch, the tri bike, for a spin, thinking it would be easier than the road bike. Wrong! Since I've been riding on the road bike (Pandora), it felt MUCH harder. Good to know. I was going to take Torch in Tour de Menlo this weekend. I've decided take Pandora since I've been riding her more.

Yesterday, I only did weights. It was the first day of school and 100 degrees when I got home so I bailed on my run. I have dreams of waking up early tomorrow and sneaking it in before school. Then a swim afterwards before happy hour with colleagues? I know. Ambitious.

Tuesday, I took the Juneau for a 5 mile run and resumed doing the loop around school and back home. I hadn't done it in awhile. It was hot and long, but it felt good to get back into the routine. I like that run.

Monday was a rest day. Boo.

Anyway, the workouts keep coming. I'm also keeping a food journal so I can lose the weight I've gained over the past year. I still feel heavy and slow as shit but I'm being consistent, and the workouts are getting easier. Plus, they make me feel better about myself because I'm taking action. I'm going to keep on, keeping on!

1 comment:

Grey Beard said...

We have both heat and wind to contend with around here. I look at Weather Underground and note when the temp will exceed 100 and the wind 10 mph and that sets the upper limit for completion time. We really have to get out the door by 6:30AM around here in the summer to get in a good 30+ mile ride, which for me means getting up ~ 5:00 AM when Debbie goes for her 5 mi morning walk with Nikkie, our white Gindo.

Love The Bike Hut. How does the honor system work? Is there suggested prices on things, and a donation box? These would be a god-send around here as hydration stops and poop stops are hard to find. Thankfully, there's the Apple Valley Airport, but they lost their cafe again, so no food there, but cold water and bathrooms and AC. You gotta make the best of what you can find.