Friday, October 02, 2009

The Chocolate Disaster

Brent and I made a pact to swear off sweats, especially chocolate (my downfall), for 6 weeks, starting the Monday after Labor Day weekend. I had read somewhere that it takes 6 weeks to reinforce a new habit. That if you can do something for 6 weeks, after that it gets easier. I had delusions of grandeur. I hoped that after 6 weeks, my nightly cravings for dark chocolate would dissipate, and my eating would be much healthier.

It didn't go so well. The first week was easy. Of course, I can go 10 days denying myself of anything. The following week, I was extremely naseous and sick all week. It was pretty easy to deny myself of all food groups, including chocolate. The 3rd week, things started to fall apart. Every night, I would practically have a fit after dinner, trying not to succumb to deep cravings. They say if you occupy yourself with another activity for 20 minutes, your craving is supposed to go away. LIE! I tried drawing, writing, brushing my teeth, going for a walk, petting the bunnies, even sex. And still, I wanted chocolate. The whole time, I was insanely jealous because Brent was having a much easier go of it. Not fair! He never suffered the chocolate addiction that I did to begin with. It's not comparing apples to apples, if you ask me. It's like asking me to go on a chopped liver fast!

By the 4th week, I succumbed to my persistant and, by this time, all-consuming cravings. I was jittery, anxious, angry and bitter. Was it worth it? I didn't think so. On top of everything, I had lost 5 pounds. Who loses 5 pounds AFTER an Ironman? I had gone into my Ironman very lean to begin with and was now just too skinny. Sub-130 on my 5'8" frame just doesn't look good. I don't like the whole crack whore look.

Brent looked over and appalled asked, "What are you doing?"
All I could do was smile in return, my mouth too full of peanut butter and semi-sweet chocolate chips to answer anything but a muffled, "Rghrmmm."

I've decided denying yourself of any food is a bad idea. Now, I'm going to work on chocolate MODERATION.

8 comments:

hstryk said...

This is my favorite post, ever. Just so ya know. Life is too short not to enjoy the simple things that make you happy IN MODERATION. ;)

Anniversary Moments said...

I whole heartedly agree - MODERATION is the key! now it's just deciding what moderation actually means? i suffer from Cookie Monster affliction.

I have a cookie every day with lunch - and by every day I mean every single day. and not just an oreo size cookie, a big bakery sized cookie which is probably the equivalent of 10 oreos. but i tell myself, it makes me happy and it's better than eating a pint of ben & jerry's. trying to get to every other day though.

Tri Buddha said...

Oh, I can so sympathize with the other comments. I have the same problem with ice cream. You leave me alone with a half gallon of ice cream for more than 15 minutes and there will be none left. That I can promise you! I am surprised I don't weigh 300lbs!

Tri Buddha said...

I need something bad for me... I just wrecked my bike :(

Your Weekly Toby said...

This is EXACTLY what happens when I give up chocolate!

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete said...

Oh my gosh! You sound exactly like me!!! haha. I am nearing week two of no sweets, and I am pretty much going crazy! Although it is getting slightly easier to say no to them, it is still HARD! I keep day dreaming of me in my wedding dress in two weeks eating a piece of my lemon raspberry cake AND a piece of my dense chocolate cake at my wedding. I need to fit into my dress for the ceremony, but I am planning on stuffing myself at dinner. That is if I am able to breathe in my dress in the first place!! ;)

A random question: I really want to do my first half Ironman in Switzerland this coming June, and my friend wants to do a marathon in France in April. Do you think that it would be wise to train for these at the same time? Or should I just do a half marathon in March in Paris and the half Ironman?

Thanks!!

Sherry said...

Rachel, I am glad that you're starting to feel better... or at least it sounds that way by the tone of this post. Really good to read. :o)

Oh, yes! Moderation! Total key! Total! Although, I am still trying to work on it myself, I'm convined that if I give up sugar totally that I will be 100% miserable, but I also can't continue to live on it as a food group.

Dr. Oz had a show on last week that provided a 28-day plan to kick the sugar habit on the butt. I haven't gone to his website to read it in detail, but if it include being able to some sweets now and then, I'm going to give it a whirl. I don't think I could stick with anything that stated, "banned for life!" What fun would that be, ya know?? :o)

Take it easy, girl!

Diana said...

Chocolate-vs-sex??? Chocolate always wins in the end!!!!
Funny post-love the crack whore comment!