Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Riding with Chris Carmichael

Yesterday was Day 2 of feeling happy. Still don't know if the meds are finally working or the exercise or both, but I really don't care. After my 10+ mile run home on Monday, I was pretty sore (read--VERY sore) Tuesday morning. I was glad I could bike in and didn't have to run the 10 miles back to work. I cruised to work on Pandora, only really huffing and puffing as I struggled up the inside of Torrey Pines. I did have to stop at the top to pop my hip back; my hips are not very happy with me. God, I'm out of shape! It's amazing how 4 weeks of doing almost nothing can reduce you from superwoman to slush. It also made me realize how ironic it is that I train day in and day out for 6 months to get in the best shape of my life, and then, in 1 day (the Ironman), I completely annihilate and destroy my body and everything I worked so hard for. The body is truly amazing. What else can you beat into a pulp only to have it come back stronger?

That afternoon, I joined the Triathlon Club of San Diego (www.triclubsandiego.org) for a fun, 25-mile ride with Lance Armstrong's coach, Chris Carmichael. I was a bit worried. Afterall, I'm out of shape, and completely dead from jumping back into training too fast too soon (is there any other way to do it?). My worries were quickly soothed as we rode out at a social pace. There must have been over 50 of us! We chatted easily as we cruised through Fairbanks Ranch and Rancho Santa Fe. The roads were rolling but rewarding, and I was very pleased that I could effortlessly keep up with the pack. Phew! I marveled at the stars among us: Chris, of course, but also Bob Babbitt, and John Howard! How lucky I am to live in San Diego! (Jessi Stensland showed up at the meeting afterwards as well). After we were done, I scarfed down a few tacos before listening to Chris's story at the meeting.

Things are looking up. Today is Day 3, and I think it's going to be a good one.

4 comments:

Krista said...

Glad to hear you are feeling better! Also, I wanted to thank you for giving my husband (Sam) the great feedback about swimming in La Jolla. We are really looking forward to it!

Tri Buddha said...

Last night was pretty awesome wasn't it!

Leah said...

Fun! You're not out of shape. Just out of practice. :)

Diana said...

What an awesome opportunity! Sounds like you're on to a happier road again! The human spirit is an interesting thing isn't it? We beat ourselves to death only to come back and ask for more!