Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Unintended R&R week

I have been incredibly lazy this week. I basically took an unplanned R&R week. Oh, well. I guess, in a way, I was due for one. Tomorrow, I'll be flying north to visit my folks in the Bay Area for the weekend. I'm hoping to do some trail running, pool swimming, and maybe even some biking while I'm there so I should be able to get active.

I hope this time off has served me well and primed me for more activity as opposed to causing me to lose substantial fitness. I'm on such a tentative cliff right now. I'm just starting to build fitness again after those few months off. It's such a slippery slope. I can't believe how hard it is. When I was a raw newbie, every gain was a new gain, so everything was motivational. Now that I'm an old-er newbie, I know how much I've lost and how far I have to go so it's hard to look at it from the perspective of a new beginning. But that's what I need to do. Each day is a new day. A new opportunity. I have to push away what I know and pretend I'm starting from scratch.

And some days, I should throw my exercise plan away and just go out and have fun! Go for a hike, shoot some hoops, do something different. It's hard for me to do because I'm very organized and am always following a plan. I feel I can't do something different, unless I planned it. Pretty spontaneous, huh?

Another thing I've realized...if I got my workout done first thing in the morning, I could have the rest of the day to myself. Then, I wouldn't be so tired and tempted to skip at the end of the day. Plus, during the late afternoon, I could even fit a 2nd workout in and be done with everything by 8. I guess it's hard for me to believe that could happen but it sounds so enticing! I'm going to try to start doing that.

What are your best tips for getting up early in the morning?
(I have a terrible time!)

5 comments:

Cliff said...

An old-er newbie?? U mean an oldbie or oldie?? :)

I get up early in the morning but i rarely do my training then. I found it if i go to bed at 10, i would wake up at 6. If go to bed at 11, I get up at 7. The trick is to go to bed early.

By natural I am a night person. The only way I sleep early is if i train in the evening and tired myself out. Which, is also another reason why I train late.

By 5 o'clock, I am like a kid waiting for school to end. Rush right home, grab my gears and go.

Fizzgig said...

I'm working on an invention. It's a bed lift. No alarm, this lifts the bed right up and plops you onto the floor. Which, for best results should be cold tile. Then an a/c shoots you with cold air. You have 1 minute to get up til the ice cold water comes. Sounds good to me.

Erin Nicole said...

i'm horrible with mornings...i have yet to find a good way to make myself go. the best thing is when i plan on meeting a friend for a workout...that keeps me accountable and helps push me out of bed.

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

I hate early mornings, but I was very consistent with them for a long time. And once I'm through the most intense part of my writing, I intend to get back on that two-a-day schedule.

Unfortunately, there is really no good way to go about it. Get up before you have time to think about it and turn on some music. Even better -- have your coffee waiting. Super-strong ice coffee is a good bet, whether you like it or not. In fact, it's probably more effective if you hate it.

Once you get moving, you'll be fine. It's that first little bit that's the trouble. If hitting the snooze is your problem, buy a second alarm clock and put it on the other side of the room. Works for me!

Britney Moss said...

i am sad to say that i am not a morning person anymore and haven't been able to get myself in a good sleeping pattern to correct the issue (as you can see by the time i posted this comment, grad school has me in a patter of staying up way too late!) good luck on the training and thank you for staying in touch!