Friday, August 05, 2005

Signs

Do you believe in signs? I do. I've been thinking about George a lot lately. I keep finding peppermints. Mon made the very insightful comment that maybe they are little gifts from George. Ever since I've been looking at it that way, I've been taking great comfort in those peppermints. I've even been saving them. Jason thought that was a really neat perspective as well.
I was discussing this idea with Jason, and we were talking about George. I was thinking about how he always liked to lick my hands. He'd lick anybody's hands but I was the only one who let him because he'd slobber all over you. I didn't care. I thought it was cute. If I folded my arms so he couldn't reach my hands, he'd begin licking my arms, and then he'd move to my face, slobbering on me like a dog. I'd break out in hives on my cheeks. I guess I'm allergic to horse saliva. I still didn't care. I wasn't going to put a stop to George's kisses. Sometimes, he'd get frustrated when I'd fold my arms and hide my hands and he's dig his nose into the crook of my elbow and fling my arms apart with his giant head. I couldn't get away with anything with him.
While I was thinking about this, Jason noticed our calendar was still stuck on July. He got up to turn it to August. It's a photo calendar I made as a Christmas present. Every month is a different photo from our collection. July was a picture of the Mayan Riveria I had taken on our honeymoon. He flipped the page to August. A large portrait of George looked back at us. I had forgotten that I had chosen George to model for August.
Is this a sign? I'm going to believe it is. I take great comfort in knowing George is still out there, happy, and that he still loves me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That made me miss my dogs like hell. I left them a year ago and came to US....

Fizzgig said...

Ahhhh!!! That was sweet!!