Friday, October 21, 2005

Swimming

I escaped from lab for an hour today to take a dip in the pool. I wish I could get the courage and energy up to go more often. The Wash. U. pool is only open for a few hours each day so I have this tiny window to make it. It felt soooo good to plunge into the water and take off. It's always cold in the beginning. To warm up, I do 2 laps of breaststroke. I like this stroke b/c I can speed up or slow down accordingly. I then alternate 1 lap backstroke and 1 lap freestyle 3 or 4 times to warm up. Backstroke is great b/c is works and stretches muscles opposite of those used in freestyle so you work everything. Plus, you can practice turning on your side and using your body from all angles. I then swam 500 meters freestyle at a leisurely pace, focusing on form. It was soooo meditative. I could have gone 500 more. I then did a few drills and than swam 500 meters at a slightly faster pace. That about wrapped it up for me. I feel fresh after that work out. Happy too, because it's getting easier, which means I'm finally getting some fitness back.

No comments: