Thursday, July 14, 2016

Phoenix Rising

I'm coming back after being on the couch for 4 years. It's been 3 weeks of workouts--mostly 3-4 mile runs with some bikes and swims sprinkled in. No goals right now except to find a sustainable pace. I've decided to revive the blog since journaling about my workouts helped motivate me in the past. Read and enjoy if you want.

Last few runs have been a sufferfest. Not being able to eat or sleep doesn't help. Neither does the 90 degree San Jose weather. I've been escaping to the local redwoods for relief. It is somewhat cooler, and I love the solace of the trail but the hills are humbling. I basically walk up them, knowing as long as my heart rate is up, I'm getting the benefit. But it's hard to quiet the drill sergeant in my head. He yells nasty insults at me when I walk. Then, I get to the top of the climb. Turn around. And I get to run down the entire hill. During that time, there are moments of peaceful bliss that remind me I should keep doing this. It may take 6-8 weeks before it starts to feel easy. I remember this. But I keep on doing it, knowing every bad workout will pave the way to many future ecstatic ones.

The photo shows me running at Big Basin State Park. The Bay Area has so many fantastic trails! Time to start exploring!

3 comments:

Alinda said...

Hurray! You're back!!!

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! So glad to see you posting again.

Wandering James, said...

Glad you're back. Greetings from a fan in Australia. I am also returning to endurance after an extended break. Looking forward to following your journey