Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Thanks WSJ!




Two weeks ago (Monday, October 22nd), I was fleeing from the San Diego fires. The sky was black with ash and the ocean was a sickly gray. I had serious doubts about celebrating my 30th birthday that weekend (October 27th) with the Soma half-ironman in Tempe, AZ that I had been training my butt off for 22 weeks. When my thoughts wandered to my "A" race the upcoming weekend, panic would rise in my throat. I had been hoping to have a stellar performance and a PR, and I was cracking under the pressure I had put on myself.

My parents called. I had told them about my blog more than once but, being from a different generation, they had yet to visit. However, they were avid readers of the Wall Street Journal http://www.wsj.com/ . They proceeded to read a glowing review about my blog from Monday's edition of WSJ in the "Blog Watch" section. No way! Needless to say, I was pretty stoked.

This was one of the best birthday presents I could have ever imagined. It was an omen. I felt as if an older, future version of myself was sending me a message. I was meant to do the race that weekend. I hadn't worked my butt off for nothing! Who cares how well I did? What mattered was that I crossed the finish line and had a good time. Afterall, that's the whole purpose behind why I blog, why I race, and why I bother in the first place. It's all about the experience. The journey. Getting to the finish line and knowing I'm better for it. My performance is just the icing on the cake.

At that moment, I knew I would have a good race, no matter what happened. The universe had opened up and was in my favor. Call me goofy (I'm not all that religious) but that's how I felt! Maybe I should have played the lotto instead, but I used the universe's blessing to have an awesome race. I wasn't disappointed. It was an amazing experience. Here's to many more goals, journeys, amazing experiences, and of course, icing!


Thanks for reading!






(left--running with Alex in 97-degree heat for the 13.1 mile run segment of the Soma half-ironman--and having a blast.)








P.S. I found out today that the Soma swim course was long by 200-300 meters!!! I PR'ed and felt I could have gone another 500 meters! Superfly! Swimming used to be my weakest link. Guess masters swimming really works.






(left--all smiles after my stellar PR swim (1.2 miles+) during the Soma half-ironman)

8 comments:

SM said...

Thats awesome about the write up in the WSJ. THat is so cool. You are a blog celebrity now!!!!

Lisa said...

You ARE a blog celebrity! Watch out, dooce!

Rainmaker said...

Very cool, congrats!

Sara said...

Wow that is crazy cool!! But you deserve it!

Paul said...

Awesome news about the write up!! Looks like your literary skills are getting noticed!

I figured the same thing about the SOMA swim based on times. It's nice to know officially. Where did you find out it was long?

:)

Unknown said...

Wow, the freaking WSJ?! How cool is that? I didn't even know that they reviewed blogs to begin with.

Very nice job at SOMA and great swim!

RunBubbaRun said...

Your a bloggy celeberity now. Getting mentioned in the WSJ..

Maybe some Financial corporate type can fund your tri season for ya, now that would be cool.

Marcy said...

Sweet!!! I'll have to look for that WSJ. My husband stockpiles ours by our bed *rolls eyes* I'm sure a whole months worth of the paper is under his nightstand LOL. I'll have to check it out!