Monday, March 26, 2007

Final Taper Week--Can you handle it?

Here it is:
23 weeks of training. Can you believe it? I'm PUMPED!!! I can't believe I've been training for almost 6 mos!






Last week turned out to be a perfect taper week when it's all said and done. I had the same amount of volume as a "maintenance" week (7.5 hrs), biked 2x, swam 2x, ran 2x, and did weights 1x. All my workouts felt short with fast "bursts." I felt great at the end and stopped when I could have done more. In addition, I had a cold, which I am beginning to suspect is necessary (a little one) during a taper to ensure the Type A triathlete gets enough rest. Plus, I've been super about my diet and stretching.
My massage therapist figured out what tendon was bothering my knee. It's the lower side between my calf and shin--the peroneals. My massage person went into each muscle 1 at a time. Gluts, hamstrings, quads, IT band, calves--nothing (good though, eh?). Then she hit the peroneals. Ouch! That was definitely it. Nothing too bad but definitely tight. Tweaked. She worked on it. Guess what? Felt 100% better on my Sunday 6-miler. Little pang here and there but nothing unmanageable. It's definitely improving. This tendon runs from an attachment on the side of the knee (where it hurts) to the under the foot. Because I run off the balls of my feet, this tendon is just tight. Nothing a little ice, stretching, and massage can't cure.


I had been feeling very depressed because of all the stress in my life and turns out, lack of exercise. I went for a fabulous 30-mile bike ride on Saturday and came back feeling 200% better. I enjoyed myself. We went out through Carmel Valley onto the 56 bike path. Saw some canyons, golf greens, wildflowers, and donkeys!!! On the way back, I had to get off to pet the donkeys! They were so friendly. They LOVED having their ears scratched. I was sorry to have to leave them, and they seemed sorry too. Next time, I'll bring carrots.
I can't believe how much better I felt when I got back. Everything was in perspective. I slept better too. Sunday, we went for our group run. 6 miles on trails in a canyon followed by a fabulous brunch at the Naked Cafe in Solana Beach. Yummy, fresh organic food. Best omelett ever with artichoke hearts, peppers, mushrooms, and tomatoes.
After I digested, Jason drove me to the Cove in La Jolla. After I took off (in balmy, 60-degree water--hey, it didn't hurt to put my face in!), he drove around to La Jolla Shores and sat on a bench with a book. Shortly after, I walked up and surprised him. He didn't think I'd be that quick! It was about 0.75 miles--just right. No seaweed with a gentle current going my way. It was way fun to swim from point A to point B. How many times do we get to do that? I felt like a sea creature popping up out of the water like, "Where did she come from?"
I'm feeling pretty good about this week. I'm as ready as I'm going to be!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are so ready.

It's going to be a great race.

Jenö said...

Ditto JP's comment! Bring it on!!

Jodi said...

Can't wait!

I fly out tomorrow and just the thought of it brings on the butterflies in my stomach. Can't wait to meet you!

:-)

Jodi

Dances with Corgis said...

Yay :) Six months of work coming together and now you are just resting and getting in the zone. Congrats on all your hard work! Can't wait to hear the race report.

Unknown said...

Awesome!!! Have a blast! Be sure to post your Bib #'s so we can watch on ironmanlive.com. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

You go, Rachel! I recently found your blog and it's been an inspiration to me as I train for my first Olympic distance. You're going to do great!

Andy said...

You're ready!!!

Weather looks great out there too! One thing I miss is living in a place where there are so many cool places to run.

Murtha...