Sunday, November 26, 2006

Silicon Valley Turkey Trot



Thursday, we woke up for a 9 a.m. race start, which actually felt like sleeping in, considering how our schedule has been lately. We thought it would be cold up in San Jose but the sun was blazing in the sky as we drove up to the start. It was very well-organized; lots of friendly, helpful volunteers and 3100 runners/walkers showed up. This Turkey Trot thing fever has really caught on! I saw tons of families with grandparents and kids in baby joggers as well as family pooches, joining the event. There was a 5K walk option, perfect for those who want to get in some exercise without being competitive before the Thanksgiving feast. I was able to check my pre-race sweats without having to return to the car--an option I really love. Once that sun came out, it got kind of toasty! Actually, it was in the high 60s when we finished.

The gun went off and we all slowly wadled towards the start. We started too far back and had tons of baby joggers and families, walking hand-in-hand, to negotiate around. I got kind of irritated actually as I weaved in and out for the next mile-and-a-half, feeling like the Grinch, ruining a Rockefeller painting; however, I wanted to run! At mile 1.5, the 5K-ers turned around and we kept going. Lots of us hooted at this point, relieved to have some room to stretch our legs. We looped onto the Guadelope River Trail for the next 2.5 miles; I love trail running, especially alongside creeks; it was really fun. Jason and I both fell into a groove and found a nice pace with a rhythmic cadence. I even felt like I was able to pick it up for the final 2 miles, although I was a bit disgruntled about having to weave, yet again, around ambling walkers upon the return towards the finish. But I totally understand--some just want to go for a fun stroll, while others want to be a bit more competitive. Put these two breeds together, and there's bound to be some sort of a clash.

It was very fun and rewarding, and I couldn't believe what a sweat I worked up by the end. Jason rocked it, finishing in 47:01 (7:34 min/miles). I came in at 57:11, hitting a solid 8:50 min/mi, which I am content with. It was more than rewarding to go home and shower and change for a delicious Thanksgiving dinner--turkey, homemade cranberry sauce (from scratch), sweet potatoes, green beans, cornbread, stuffing, gravy, wine, and apple and pumpkin pie ala mode! Thanks Mom and Dad! It was delicious!

4 comments:

Kate said...

Turkey trots are such a cool idea! I know the frustration of being surrounded by walkers- my first half-m (which I've done twice more) is an out and back, and I usually finish with 1/2m walkers, slow 10k runners and some 10k walkers. Having walkers going three + abreast interrupting my nice solid 1/2 pace and sipping their drinks at water stops brings out my grouchy side! And if I'm having a bad race it's a hundred times worse.

Jack said...

Hmmm, sounds like a perfect day!

JeffM said...

Turkey Trot's are fun! Plus after it's done you get to have a feast.

Mike said...

Rachel,

Glad to hear everything is going well- solid work in that Turkey Trot. I haven't done one yet but definitely on my to do list