Friday, December 09, 2005

In transition

I finally got some sleep yesterday. I was exhausted from another long night of no sleep. You know it's bad when you end up watching the 5:00 a.m. news because you can't sleep. I still couldn't fall asleep until 2 a.m., but once I did, I slept like a zombie. I didn't wake up until 2 p.m. the next day. I decided to skip lab for the day and get caught up with everything at home and get rested. I ended up taking another nap from 6:30 to 8:30 and then, of course, not being able to fall asleep until around 3 a.m. I slept pretty well after that. I had to wake up early to take Babs to the vet (she's fine--just a precautionary visit) so that kind of sucked but at least I'll probably sleep well tonight. My mind has been a little more at ease lately.
I finally went for a run and lifted weights last night, which definitely helped me sleep. It made me feel SO much better. However, when you're exhausted, you feel sick and don't want to work out, which is why I've been skipping my workouts lately. :( I'm hoping to get back into a routine...finally.
I've felt more at ease about lab lately. A tech has been helping me with experiments , and i've just been getting ready for my defense on the 20th. I'm feeling pretty good about it. I'm just thinking of it as another presentation. As far as experiments go, since my thesis is turned in, I kind of feel like I'm in a lame duck session. I've been working my ass off so I deserve to give myself a break, especially with all the stress. It'll feel soooo good to be done with it all! I get excited and pretty wound up about moving to San Diego...and being with Jason again.
I'm getting ready to move. I'm not too worried about. Everything is already out there. I'm just winding things up here. I had my last hair appointment, my last dentist appointment, my last massage, last doctor's appointment, last vet appointment, last bunny cleaning volunteering session, etc., etc. My friend remarked that it sounded like I was on death row...like I was having my last meal and last everything. It is the last everything though...for the St. Louis chapter in my life. I'm closing this segement of my life down and getting ready to be reborn...in San Diego...as a postdoc. So it is kind of like a death, in a way. A good way.

Question of the Day:
What event in your life has made you go through a major transition?

No comments: