Monday, April 03, 2006

Hanging in there

Guess I'm doing pretty well, consistency-wise. Managed to do a treadmill run plus weights on Saturday. Followed by stretching. Sunday, biked on the trainer for an hour. Followed by stretching. Monday (today), biked to and from lab. Then swam in the pool for a bit.

The rib muscle definitely hurt, and definitely limited my stroke twist, reach, and mobility, but I was able to hang in there for a solid 30 minutes. I found if I focused on my form and slowed down the pace, I could swim pretty effectively. Matter of fact, it may have even been conducive to helping me find a stable pace and maintaining a straight form. I also increased the frequency of my kicks, which also seemed to help.

It hurt the most during the first 5 minutes before subsiding to a dull ache. To be honest, bringing my legs up to push off the wall hurt the most. Backstroke hurt the least. I limited the swim to 30 minutes before making myself get out. (I wasn't tired and wanted to do more so at least my endurance is better!) I want to see if it hurts more, less, or the same tomorrow before swimming again. This was sort of a test. If it hurts more, I'll know I can't swim until it gets better. If it's the same or less, I'll know I can swim a bit without injuring myself more...as long as I'm careful. I followed the swim by a nice soak in the hot tub for 10 minutes, which felt delightful.

4 comments:

Cliff said...

Thanks for yoru comment in my blog :D...yeah i am getting one implant. Nothing biggie. I mean other ppl has gone through it :D.

Have you try stretching in the hot tub? I found that help a lot with muscle aches and what not.

diebenkorn said...

rachel i really hope you feel better. just remember you are a fighter and i know you'll make it just take it easy on yourself right now. your body is trying to tell you to slow down...

Kewl Nitrox said...

Good to hear that you are hanging tough. If it hurts to kick off the wall, don't. Just turn and swim back. I actually prefer that since I tell myself there is no wall to push off in Open Water. ;)

Fizzgig said...

Hope you feel better! I bet the hot tub was like heaven!