Sunday, March 05, 2006

Ocean ride

I had an awesome bike ride today. I went solo again b/c Jason had to study. I decided to do an out and back ride on the coast. No chance of getting lost! It was very breezy and almost chilly. I was fine since I put on long underwear under my bike shirt. I ended up going a total of 23 miles. It was so exhilarating, relaxing, and cleansing. I could smell the salt. The air was moist with ocean water. Sea salt collected around the top of my water bottle, further preventing dehydration...the natural way. The waves were very violent, and the tide was high. People were hang gliding and flying kites. I saw tons of sea birds and hawks, taking advantage of the winds. I passed through Del Mar, Solana Beach, and Cardiff by the Sea. I love the little ocean towns north of San Diego! I've decided I want to live there when I grow up. ;) The hills didn't seem so bad today. However, I was exhausted when I got back. Why does my throat get sore after a hard work out? Strange. Anyway, I scrapped my 2nd workout for the day, considering how sore my ass felt and have been resting all weekend. I still am overestimating my fitness and trying to pack in too much and too many workouts in one day. Frustrating. Oh, well. I've been back into it for 8 weeks now. I'm definitely building endurance and consistency. Ugh. So slow. Baby steps....

7 comments:

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

Sounds like a fun ride! I hate the "build" phase, myself. I look at it as incentive to stay on top of things as much as possible, so as to never have to build up from scratch again.

As for your throat, might it just be dry from breathing? Happens to me sometimes, in dry climates.

Cliff said...

At least is better than stuck in the basement for 3 hr plus :)

diebenkorn said...

oh it sounds wonderful! funny how we both went on our respective "bike" rides on the same day!

Anonymous said...

Golly. I can't believe you work out this much! It's even more so than you did when you were in St Louis! I think it's awesome! Johnny talks about wanting to run in the park but that's all it is...talk. Maybe one day we'll actually do it. :P

How are things in lab going? I'm curious about your project, you should do a post. :]

Kewl Nitrox said...

Sigh... Don't we all just live for one of those "perfect" rides? Beautiful!

The throat.. Maybe you should sip every 15mins if you are not already. Keeps the throat moist and prevents sore throats.

Fizzgig said...

What a wonderful Sunday ride! I'm jealous, I miss the sun!

Rachel said...

Thanks for the suggestions. Yeah, I'm not used to the dry climate. I definitely didn't drink enough. Thanks for the tip!