Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Back and Exhausted

Finally back from Wisconsin. Trying to recover after eating all that heavy meat and dairy. It was gorgeous. I'll have some great pics soon. Right now, I'm just trying to get caught up with everything and resume a consistent training plan after all the races I've been doing!

I managed a few great runs while I was there but that was about it (damn thunderstorms!) although I did get to drool over some really amazing horses and visit the lake, staring at it longingly as the lightning bolts hit it. Sigh. We also did some shopping on State Street and bought some t-shirts, ice cream, and cheese curds. Mmmm. Cheese curds. I love Madison in summer. Sitting on the terrace by the Union looking out over Lake Mendota. I had forgotten how green it gets there in the summer! Rolling prairies, grassland, farms, and tons of wildflowers--Queen Anne's Lace, love-in-a mist, wild sunflowers, black eyed susans--it was so pretty. The corn looked great--already tassling. Lots of farmers out baling hay. Everyone waves to you there, especially when they drive past on a run in the rural back country roads. It's such a friendly area.

The only sad part was that many of the farms are being replaced by developers and houses and residential areas. It's good that Madison is thriving and growing but I hate the suburban sprawl. With it comes more traffic, more people, and you lose that personal touch and character a place has. Also, some of our favorite Mom and Pop stores have been replaced by big chains, which I think should be illegal! Jamba Juice and Ben & Jerry's should not be allowed to move in over the Chocolate Cow (ice cream place)!!! Just my two cents.

It's good to be back (although it's unbelievably hot and humid here--w.t.f?) and sleep in my own bed, crank up the a.c. and have a good shower without well sediment in it. I couldn't live in the old farmhouse my in-laws are in. I'm too high-maintenance. And the damn pigs wouldn't shut up at night!!! The buns are much quieter.

Pics coming soon...

3 comments:

Cliff said...

Ppl waving (not the middle finger) is a rarity....must be good to run in those places...

did u ran with the pigs?:-)

qcmier said...

Glad you had a good trip. Sorry about the heat and humidity as I brought it to SD last weekend.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! Sounds like a good time, even if you were unable to swim.

It is always tough to visit places from our past to watch them transform into suburbia, taking away the subtle nuances that make a place unique.