Monday, July 24, 2023

The Redemption Ride

 Yesterday, I rode 70 miles with 6,338 feet of climbing, which I call the Pescadero Ride. About a month ago, I tried to do this ride in the afternoon without enough nutrition or daylight and bonked at the Bike Hut, having to shiver in the dark for 2+ hours to wait for my partner to ride home and drive back to retrieve me. Severely humbled with a big chunk taken out of my ego, I decided to use it as a learning experience, prepare and try again. Since then, I've been preparing to redo this ride. 

Step 1-More training. I wasn't mentally or physically prepared. It had been years since I last did this ride. The last few weekends, I've been riding smaller chunks of the same ride to prepare.

Step 2-Leave earlier in the day. Seems obvious but I forgot that this ride takes me 6+ hours with stops. Unless I'm prepared to ride home in the dark, I need to leave in the morning.

Step 3-Electrolytes & carbs. I've been listening to a few podcasts, and they made me realize I was severely dehydrated and under-fueled. I've been tackling this with a multi-pronged approach in the event that my stomach (famously sensitive) decided to refuse one of my fuels. I've been using salt pills (Thermolyte) and 1 bottle of water. 2nd bottle has 1 scoop of Heed (electrolytes + maltodextrin). I stop to refill as needed. I brought a baggie with more Heed for the refill. I also supplemented with some Cliff Bloks (strawberry-no caffeine and orange-caffeine). Caffeine is great for later in the ride but too much gives me stomach cramps so I can alternate as needed. I also had a taco, Coke, and Milky Way at lunch. However, the solid food takes about 45 minutes to digest. 

I rocked the ride! Nutrition was a HUGE part of it, and I feel like I'm rediscovering something I've forgotten. Proper hydration and fueling actually does make a huge difference.

Other notes: I brought a windbreaker and arm warmers for the lunch stop since it's always cool and windy in Pescadero. I also am always armed with my id, credit card, phone and cash on long rides. 

I will need Chamois Butter next time. I had serious chafing and swelling afterwards.

It was 95 degrees on Page Mill (57 on the coast side). WTF?! Page Mill is the hardest part of the ride but it comes early. 

I practiced drafting off my partner. Wow, what a difference! That was fun. 

Stage Rd. is always grueling. I think the fatigue sets in, the hills are long and endless, and the calories from lunch haven't digested yet.

Only 2 banana slugs on Tunitas. Sad noises.

My rim tape blew at the bottom of King's, and Alan used a dollar bill to patch it for the remaining 10 miles home. I lost all my momentum after that, realizing how tired I was. Flats suck!

For a link to the Pescadero ride, click here.



No comments: