Monday, July 10, 2023

Kicking Butt and Feeling Good

I have been nailing my workouts lately and feeling strong. I feel like I've hit a sweet spot of gaining fitness and enjoying the process. Here's a recap of what I've been doing lately:

Sunday, July 9
Bike Hut Challenge with Alan. We parked at the top of Skyline and descended 9 miles to the Bike Hut and then timed to see how fast we could go to the top. I had a blast! I had never done this climb (2000 feet) on fresh legs before. It was chilly and misty, and I maintained a sustainable race pace the whole way, coming in at about 1:01. I counted 89 banana slugs.





Saturday, July 8
0.9 mile swim around the pier in Santa Cruz at Cowell's Beach by the Boardwalk. I met with the SVTC and Water Dogs for the first time. I'm trying to form some workout buddies to keep myself motivated. Such a friendly, inviting group of people. Water temp was 58 degrees, but I adapted after a few minutes, thanks to my wetsuit. I swam a little too close to the end of the pier, causing sea lion to drop in the water and come after me barking. This definitely made me practice my race pace! I also got a little sting from a jellyfish (probably a sea nettle) on my right wrist. I proudly showed all who would listen the little beaded welts in the shape of a tentacle on my wrist all afternoon. Good times. Definitely will do again.

Pier at Cowell's Beach, Santa Cruz
Water Dogs just before our swim.

One week ago, my dad and his friend took me mountain biking in south San Jose around Calero Reservoir. Fun and challenging (about 14 miles). We've really been lucking out with nice weather! Lots of little butterflies and a few lizards. My dad can still kick my ass on the mountain bike!

No comments: