Thursday, July 20, 2023

The Importance of Rest Days

 I don't have a coach but I do follow a loose training plan. My "A" race is in early September (Santa Cruz 70.3) so I worked backwards from there. I have a good base so I'm working on some speed right now before I do a final build and then taper. This week is supposed to be an "Active Recovery" week. 

I hate recovery weeks. I'm an all-or-nothing person. Usually my recovery weeks consist of crashing and burning on the couch for 7 days, feeling fat and depressed. This leaves me lethargic and sluggish the following week. Lately, I've been experimenting with still doing workouts but less. What a concept. I've also been incorporating some fun, slow workouts into these recovery weeks like drills in open-water, a casual mountain bike ride with friends or easy jog with my dog around the neighborhood. 

I took a rest day yesterday. No workouts. Mostly napped. I think my recent vaccinations made me tired as well, but I clearly had forgotten how important rest days are. I don't like to take rest days because they can turn into rest weeks. I'm terrified of losing commitment and fitness. But I was so tired. Rest days help me recover. I walked the dog. Did some Yoga. That helped. 

I still felt sluggish today until this afternoon. I had just enough time for a quick bike ride before my massage. I took Torch for 18 miles by Arastredero Preserve. I felt speedy and great! I also saw a coyote, casually ambling down the trail. It was so cool!

I'm trying really hard not to beat myself up about an "imperfect" week, especially during a Recovery week, which is supposed to be less by design. (A perfect week for me is when I nail all my workouts. Right now that is 2x weights and 3x swim, bike, run each). I need to learn to let things go and not obsess so much over volume. I'm a perfectionist. It's hard for me. But I love how I feel when I balance training and recovery. 

Rest on!

No comments: