Sunday, May 07, 2006

Spring Sprint Triathlon--Race Report

Since I ended up having a pretty hard training week, I took Friday and Saturday off to rest up and nurse my foot. Saturday, I packed everything up and went to bed at 11 (not early enough but I did have a nap earlier).

I couldn't believe it when the alarm went off at 4. At least I had slept soundly. When I get up for a race, I just can't imagine what I will be doing in a few hours. I didn't want to eat anything but I did manage to eat a chewy granola bar that was actually quite good. We got to the transition area 10 minutes before it opened (5:35). This has never happened before. I got to pick a primo spot, get body-marked, set up my transition area, and RELAX. This actually made me quite nervous. However, I did recognize some people I've seen at some of the tri-club workouts so it was very nice talking with them.

Jason took off for the duathlon, and I finished putting on my wetsuit and headed down to the water. I had been freezing all morning and was dreading getting in the water. Once my wetsuit was on, I was actually comfortable (out of the water). Once I got in the water, my teeth instantly started chattering. I swam out and back to the warm-up buoy several times but I just couldn't get warmed up. I finally figured out the answer--peeing in the wetsuit. Gross, but I was fine after that. Then, I just did some gentle water aerobics, not caring about how silly I looked, to keep warm until my wave started.

The horn blew, and our wave started. Everyone was super nice and friendly, which made everything so much more comfortable. The swim was fantastic. Since I was warmed-up, I was ready and revved to go. I relaxed and settled into a pace. I even saw some little fishies! I actually was sad to be done with the swim so quickly (only 1/4 mi).

I didn't have too much of a problem getting the wetsuit off and jumping on the bike. I felt wet and salty but other than that, okay. The bike was flat and fast--10 miles total; 2 loops around Fiesta Island. I was expecting lots of wind but it was early in the morning, and very calm. It was very enjoyable and pretty uneventful. Took me about 35 minutes, which is good for me.

I've noticed that I'm starting to get a sore lower back from the bike. The other thing is that my right knee hurts on the outside when I try to push a larger gear. It's gotta be something about my biomechanics. I think I'm going to need to see a physcial therapist about and/or get a customized bike fitting. I don't need another injury.

The run started, and instantly, my foot was aching. I knew this was going to happen. I twisted my ankle walking out to the car on Thursday, and landed funny on my vulnerable foot. Up until then, it had been getting better. I can't WAIT to see the podiatrist this Friday. Anyway, I was getting ready to walk, when I hit the trail. My legs started feeling better, I found a pace, and my foot pain evaporated. I felt invigorated. I started passing people. I just love running, and it will always be my strong point. At the end, in the chute, people were cheering me on, and I picked it up even more. Then one guy sprinted past me, and something primal took over. I kicked it into high gear and sprinted over the finish. Why did I do that? Duh. I had to walk it off for the next 5 minutes so as not to puke. Anyway, I ran sub-10 minute miles, which is great, considering how limited my running has been.

All in all it was a great race. I had a lot of fun. Not only that, but I finished in about 1:15, which I'm very happy with, even though I know that's slow for many.

I came home, showered, and promptly took a 4 hour nap. Haven't really been hungry all day. Just nibbling on toast and drinking tea. Why is it that after any race, I lose my appetite? Certainly I need to replenish my body. Weird. Anyway, my foot is definitely sore but feels a million times better this afternoon with ice and ibuprofen. I'm taking it easy the rest of the week.

I'm also just going to focus on healing and training for the International Triathlon at the end of June, which I'm terrified about. I've never done that distance. I have to get more used to open water (at least it will be in the bay so the water will be calm), which is doable. I have to get used to a 23 mile bike, which, again, is doable (gotta get my knee-thing fixed). The thing I'm not sure about is my foot for the run. Number 1--can it heal in time? Number 2--will I be able to get used to 6 miles again that quickly after the swim and bike? Ugh. Nervous, nervous. This race will be all about finishing and experience, not time. However, I need to savor the victory of today's race a little more before worrying about the next one!


bunnygirl said...

Congrats on the race! I had a feeling you wouldn't be able to resist kicking it in at the end, though!

Do look into a custom bike fit. Do you do core work, including lower back? That will help, too.

And rest that foot!

Sounds like you had a great day!

Habeela said...

Sounds like an awesome race! Congrats!

jameson said...

killer report... and congrats! sounds like you had a solid race.. even with a sore foot.

i am thinking about doing the Int'l too.... we'll see!

Jessi said...

Hey Rachel,
Loved reading your race report! I think 1:15 is a kick ass time! Sorry your foot is hurting you... imagine how fast you'll be once it's all good.

Mon said...

that sounds like you did pretty good! I heard that about peeing in a wet suit, so it works!

jessie_tri_mn said...

Nice job on the tri! Sounds like a fun time, once you got warmed up, that is ;)

A little adrenaline goes a long way to make an injury feel better.

Rest up that foot and you’re in for a great season!

Jessi said...

p.s. In diving (scuba) the saying goes: There's two kinds of people - those that pee in their wetsuit, and those that deny it.

Rachel said...

Bunnygirl--thanks for the advice. I think I will look into a bike fitting. I do lots of core work but I suspect my top tube is slightly long for me.

Jameson--Do the International!

Thanks everyone for all the nice comments!

Anonymous said...

Looks like you discovered the surfer trick for keeping warm. Cool race report, sounds like you had an awesome race, even with sore foot. You can prolly change your blog name from amateur to veteran!

Chris said...

Hey! Great job on that race! Sorry that I haven't posted in a while. My RSS reader thing hasn't been working quite right recently. Grrrr.

In any case, I'm catching up. Sorry to hear about your recent foot problems, but I'm glad to hear that it's getting better! Is Road Runner Sports your local run store? I thought they were an online only retailer, but if you dealt with someone in person, I guess not?