Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Foot Pain and Sprint Tri

Foot is still bothering me. I don't know if it's better. The sharp pain is gone but it's very achy. When I walk, when I clip out of the bike, when I bend my toes, etc. I've been icing it and taking ibuprofen, which helps. I actually tried a conservative run on the treadmill with my new insoles with arch support on Sunday night. It actually went pretty well. Instead of a stabbing pain after 5 steps, I was able to go 3 miles, as long as I kept it under 6 mph. I did have to think about my form; however, and I'm worried about getting a secondary injury from compensating. If I run "flat-footed", it doesn't hurt. When I go back to my normal, running-on-my-toes form, it hurts.

I found a highly recommended podiatrist and made an appointment. The earliest he could see me was next Friday, which will be after the Spring Sprint Tri this weekend. I just hope he can get me back on track for the International Tri at the end of June. I can handle 3 miles (sort of) right now but, unfortunately not 6 (ack!). I've already signed up for both triathlons so I feel kind of pressured (they're expensive!). Question #1 of the day: What should I do about the triathlon this weekend? I really hate to blow all that money. I'm kind of leaning towards doing it and being very conservative on the run, using my new insoles. If it hurts too much, I can walk, or (gulp) not do the run and do the other 2 phases. It'll be good practice, and I'll use that approach. It's a 1/4 mile swim in the bay (I just got a new wetsuit), 9 mile bike, and 3 mile run. Only thing is--I don't want to injure myself more and take myself out of the running for the International Tri, which is a bigger race. Sigh.

5 comments:

Meagan said...

Hmmm...If it were me, I'd race, and take it really easy. If, in the middle of the race, the worst that is going to happen is that you'll have to walk the run portion. Be careful though! and good luck!

Tammy said...

Once you're there, you'll probably push through the pain... which could lead to bagging your whole season. Does it bother it at all when you walk? If not, and you know that you will do that if/when it starts to hurt, then why not? But if you are, like most of us, too proud to "quit" so that you may live to race another day, then I would stay home. Your call... be smart... think long-term.

Habeela said...

If it were me I wouldn't risk it. But that's the risk-averse newbie talking so keep that in mind. :) I'm sure whatever you decide will be the right thing though.

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

It's really about the rest of your season. In the heat of the moment on race day, you'll want to push harder than you would on a training day, so you could be asking for trouble. If this isn't an A race, you may want to sit it out.

Did you try the taping? If you can find a way to support the foot and prevent further injury, you can probably race. But you sure don't want to try the taping on race day, and I'm not so sure how it would hold up in the water.

Cliff said...

I am worry about the pain you have when you clip out of your bike. Riding might aggrevate the pain.

The international Tri is two months away (roughly). If you rest now and recover, u might be able to race strong in that tri.