Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Nocturnalia

I'm making up a new word--Nocturnalia--people who can't sleep at night, even though they want to. That's me. It's getting serious. I didn't fall asleep until 6 a.m. this morning. I slept until 1 p.m. Like a zombie. I dreamt about my postdoc. I guess, in my mind, I've already graduated. I even set up a start-date with my new P.I. January 23rd. That way, I get enough free time, without too much free time.
Last night, after a hectic day at lab (my 2nd, 1st-author paper has just been accepted! Yipee!), I walked home, exhausted, the long night before starting to catch up with me. Feeling the effects of sleep deprivation, I knew I needed to just get in the car and run my errands or I would fall asleep on the couch and take a nap. I jumped in the car and drove to the grocery store--Trader Joe's for me, and then Dierberg's for fresh greens for the bunnies (they are very spoiled). I got some very nice frames for a photo I'm giving to my P.I. as a gift. Then, I went to PetsMart, got the last batch of bunny litter that I will ever need in St. Louis, purchased the biggest 2-door dog crate that would fit in the back-seat of my little Corolla (36" x 24") for the bunnies on the drive to San Diego, and found some awesome chewable toys for the buns in the bird section (they have been fighting over them since I gave them to them). The bunnies get gifts too!
After running around, I was exhausted. I got ready for bed and fell asleep around 10 p.m. Then, I woke up at midnight and couldn't fall back asleep! Apparently, my body thought it was a nap! Unfortunately, I was too tired to exercise at that point, which is probably what I should have done. Instead, I practiced my presentation, which wound me up even more. Then, I wrapped presents with awesome, home-made wrapping paper (from artsy magazine pages), and sketched and finished all my drawings for the calendar I'm putting together for holiday gifts.
At 5, I went back to bed, very exhausted at this point. I still couldn't fall asleep, even though I was physically very tired. Finally, I drifted off into a coma at 6 and was dead to the world until after 1. Jason needs to come back from Wisconsin so I can get some sleep!

2 comments:

Erin said...

Hey ya! Youre DONE! finally, you can leave that shit hole, i mean leave st. louis. Anyways im excited to come visit. perhaps mom and dad will let me stay with you.....yes, and im bringing my iPod, so we can listen to music, and i can convert you to my uber indie status music....its good times. anyways, cant wait to see you!

Mon said...

Congrats on all your accomplishments! One day, you'll look back at this time and wonder how you did so much!!