Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Amazing Swim

I woke up at 5 this morning for 6 am swim. That's the 3rd swim in 3 days (tomorrow will be 4). I'm getting LASIK on Thursday, which means no swimming for 1 week. Just when I'm getting faster and LOVING the master's workouts too. Oh, well. It's just 1 week, right? I'm getting stronger in the water. Still slow, but better. I think the secret to getting stronger is to do it more. That's right: to get faster on the swim, bike, or run, the secret formula is: do more!

This morning, there were 7 people in my lane. I freaked out. No way I can keep up with them. We started swimming. I was in the middle of the pack. I swam as hard as I could to maintain an even pace with them. Afterall, that's what I'm used to doing when I swim in a pack that's not the slow lane. Only today was different. The people behind me weren't gaining on me. The swimmers in front weren't pulling away. All of a sudden, I felt bubbles. My fingers grazed the toes of the swimmer in front. I was catching up!

I swam consevatively the rest of the workout, afraid at some point, everyone would start racing ahead. Afterall, I need a good 1000 meters to warm up. It never happened. I got faster and faster, and everyone else got slower and slower. By the end, everyone else jumped up before the final set, and I finished the workout solo. Sickie said I should move up a lane next time. I feel fresh, my shoulders aren't sore, and I'm not tired. I feel incredible.

2 comments:

SM said...

Love having days like that. No matter what sport. Good job!

Backpacker said...

I think this post also helped inspire me to shoot for 4 swims a week. I'm still a sissy about sharing a swim lane, though. One thing at a time!