Saturday, February 04, 2006

10k super run

I had an awesome race this morning. I dragged myself out of bed at 5:30. Surprisingly, I was actually hungry. I ate a bowl of cereal and a banana, selected a pair of shorts and a long-sleeved running shirt. I love the shirt because it's made of this "technical" fiber that wicks away sweat. It keeps you warm on chilly mornings but you never get overheated.

We drove 15 minutes down towards Sea World. It was in the low 50s and very foggy. I love that kind of weather for running. There were tons of people lining up on the start line. All sorts too. Some had baby strollers. Old, young, big, small. Some parents ran with their kids. The announcer gave out useful race strategy tips and another spokesperson led a group warm-up and stretching regimen. So cool. This area is SO healthy. So many opportunities at your fingertips.

I felt quick and strong on the run. The weather was perfect. It was a new route by the bay and there was lots of motivation from all the people around me. I felt totally relaxed and at peace the whole way. I truly enjoyed myself. I felt much better than the other day. I may be slower than I used to be but I think I'm having more fun. I was proud of myself for pacing myself and running the whole way without blowing up. It was a great confidence builder. I was really impressed with this little 10-year old boy who ran next to me the entire way! What a trooper!

Afterwards, I scarfed down 1 and a half bagels at Einsteins and went back to bed. I guess I must have pushed it a little too hard because I was SO exhausted. I took a 5-hour nap! I'm a little sore but nothing too serious. It was fun. I'm planning the next one!

2 comments:

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

I'm glad you had a good run! 10K is a nice distance-- it usually weeds out the clueless, making it easier to just relax and enjoy the run.

Cliff said...

It is all about the technical shirts. I run mostly for technical shirts. Being healthy is just a bonus. :)