Sunday, August 01, 2021

Back from Hawaii and Going Strong!

I'm wrapping up Weeks 8 & 9 after a week in Maui and just pinching myself. I feel amazing. I've lost 10 pounds and gained muscle and energy. My mood has been boosted. I'm finally able to start working on speed. I'm feeling stronger, and the workouts are becoming fun again. I'm a bit sad that summer vacation is ending; I'll be returning to the classroom for year 11 in a week. My goal is to continue my fitness journey while balancing the stresses of a crazy-busy job. I may not be able to work out with the same intensity that I have been, but I know I can keep up my exercise and diet if I focus. My peroneal tendonitis is feeling better but still nagging me. I'm seeing the podiatrist this Friday for advice. Luckily, I've still been able to run. Oddly, it's hiking that seems to trigger it (that's when I always roll my ankles).

Here's how the rest of Week 7 finished up:
Wednesday, July 14th: I biked up King's and added the rest of the Portola Valley Loop for a total of 33 miles. My (left) ankle was acting up after the previous day's run, and I found that climbing aggravated it. 
Thursday, July 15th: Rest Day
Friday, July 16th: open water swim at Gull Park (1.2 miles). This was an out-and-back swim, and the return was challenging. The wind picks up in the afternoon, and there's always significant chop to fight through on the way back. In some perverse way, I enjoy it because it makes me focus, and I can't think about anything else.
Saturday, July 17th: Alan and I rode the tandem on Foothill (20 miles) for a mellow bike. I followed this up with weights. 
Sunday, July 18th: Juneau and I ran to Holbrook-Palmer Park for a loop and back for a conservative, 3-mile test run. My ankle felt better. Flat runs on the road definitely are not exacerbating my injury. I then did a pool swim at Burgess. 2200 yards (45 minutes). The main set was 10x100s with 20-30 seconds rest. It's the first time I've worked on pace in a long time, and it was fun. My best time was 2:03 min/100. My goal is to hit a consistent 2:00 min/100.

This week finished up well. I hit my quota except for missing 1 run due to the ankle. 

Week 8: 
No quota this week due to vacation in Maui! However, I wanted to stay active with hiking, snorkeling, and scuba diving. This trip was my first time in Hawaii, and it was everything I hoped for!

Monday, July 19th: I biked the loop on Torch (tri bike) and felt fast! 21 miles and averaged 16 mph (fast for me anyway).
Tuesday, July 20th: I snuck in an early morning run (5 miles) with Juneau around the neighborhood before hopping on the plane and flying to Maui. When we arrived at the condo, the view of the ocean was so spectacular, I couldn't resist jumping in the ocean and going for a swim (about 0.5 miles)! The ocean is much rougher than Gull Park! I swallowed a lot of saltwater but got to see lots of fish. The water was so nice and warm, about 78 degrees Farenheit.
Wednesday, July 21st: We did a 10 mile hike with ~1700 feet of climbing on the Mahana Ridge Trail. Spectacular views, lots of tropical plants and flowers, including pineapples and guava! I made sure to jump in the ocean for a little swim back at the condo too.
Thursday, July 22nd: We snorkeled at Airport Beach and Black's Rock. I wore a skin to keep the sun off and keep me from getting too cold since I was just floating and staring at the fish and turtles a lot. I didn't want to get out of the water. After 3 hours, it was time to get out and eat lunch.
Friday-Sunday, July 23rd-25th: Scuba diving (2 dives per day)! We used Dive Maui and did a refresher dive at Airport Beach with Simon. Visibility was poor and the current was STRONG, even at 35 feet down. The peacock flounder was my favorite critter. Afterwards, we went to Mala Pier, which was my favorite dive site. So many critters, including a white-tipped reef shark, eels, and tons of turtles. On the next day, we took a boat to Lanai Cathedrals and dove with Jeff. I got super seasick after the 2nd dive and learned you can throw up through the regulator underwater without any problems. Good to know. The final day of diving was Mala Pier and Honolua Bay with Will. Mala Pier was my favorite site. So many turtles! Turtles everywhere! They should call this dive, "Turtles All the Way Down". 
At the top of the Mahana Ridge Trail


Week 9: 
Monday, July 26th: Our last day on Maui. We did a 6 mile hike in the Makawao Forest, which was nice but not as impressive as Mahala. We followed this up with another marathon snorkeling session at Onolua Beach (Mile Marker 14). Again, about 3 hours in the water. Alan couldn't get me out! So many turtles!
Tuesday, July 27th: Rest day. We spent most of the day flying home, and I was exhausted and in bed by 8 pm (5 pm Maui time).
Wednesday, July 28th: I ran 5.5 miles with Juneau around the park and neighborhoods. My ankle felt okay, but it was definitely achy at times. I followed this up with weights. 
Thursday, July 29th: I biked on Torch down the Bay Trail (south) and back on Middlefield. Headwind on the return and lots of traffic. This was not a pretty bike but it is flat and windy. I probably won't do this route again. 
Friday, July 30th: Pool swim at Burgess (~2,000+ yds). Main set was a descending ladder starting at 500. I felt strong and could have swum farther. My pace is the same as a week ago. I did try a 50 just to see and was pleased I could manage a lap in less than a minute. I cannot make it across the length of the pool on one breath though; something I need to work on. I ran later that afternoon (school loop), knocking out 4.5 miles. I wore the GPS for the first time in years to check my pace. I was faster than I thought (9:45 min/miles average)! This is on flat roads. 
Saturday, July 31st: Awesome bike on Pandora (road bike) up Old La Honda, down Woodside, right on Portola to finish the loop, then up a steep shortcut to Alpine and to the top and back down for a total of 35 miles and about 3,000+ feet of climbing. I had to refill water at the top of Skyline by Alice's. It was a bit hot (I went through 3 water bottles). I also ate a bar and Cliff Blocks to prevent bonking. It was a solid ride, and I felt proud of myself. Took about 3 hours. 
Sunday, August 1st: What great workouts today! I started with a 1.2 mile swim at Gull Park and met some other triathletes from the Silicon Valley Tri Club. Looking forward to training more with this club and gaining some workout buddies. I practiced in my wetsuit (ugh) and chafed a little. I will wear a rashguard for the race. Until then, back to swimming in just my speedo! After a meal and a nap, I did a 6-mile run in Huddart Park. Slow and hilly but my ankle felt okay. It's so good to be back on trails!

All in all, I'm feeling strong and beginning to work on speed. I'm enjoying myself and reaping the health benefits of the workouts. I'm excited for the races coming up! 

Race Schedule:
  • Sunday, August 22nd: Sandman Triathlon, Aptos
  • Saturday, September 4th: China Camp 1/2 Marathon, San Rafael 
  • Sunday, September 26th: Santa Cruz Triathlon (Olympic)
  • Sunday, October 3rd: San Jose Rock'n Roll Half Marathon

No comments: