Sunday, August 29, 2021

Sandman Triathlon (August, 2021)

 I'm about to start Week 4 of school. School is exhausting. I had forgotten. It seems I can workout most mornings before school but after school is a crap shoot. I've never been able to get up early before. All of a sudden, I'm an early bird? I'll go with it. I've also lost 17 pounds and am maintaining it so far. 3 more to go to reach my goal! Feeling strong, feeling proud. 

Week 13: Training Continues

Monday (8/23)-weights in the am. swam about 2300 yds at Burgess after school. Did a descending ladder starting at 500.

Tuesday (8/24)-ran about 5 miles with Juneau before school

Wednesday (8/25)-swam with my friend at the M-A pool early in the am. She said I looked faster! Made me so happy. Did about 2300 yds. Main set was 3x200 and 4x100s at race pace with 20 seconds rest. I was so tired after school, I went home and went to bed at 4pm!

Thursday (8/26)-rest day. Tired and felt out of sorts. 

Friday (8/27)-ran 6 miles with Juneau. Pooped my pants. It happens. Had a massage after work and went home and went straight to bed. I've been TIRED lately. 

Saturday (8/28)-rest day. bad air quality and really hot (95 degrees). I could have done weights. I did lots of school work. And napped. Feel much more rested.

Sunday (8/29)-ran at least 13 miles at China Camp to preview the course for next weekend. I got very lost and kept running in circles. It was like the Bermuda Triangle. I'm very glad the course will be marked for next weekend. I still had a great time and am glad I have a bit more knowledge about the course. I was out on the trail for 4 hours!

(EDIT: got sick just in time for this race and decided to bail to race again another day. Unfortunately, I did not resume working out after being sick for the rest of the school year and gained back 12 pounds. Ugh. Frustrating.)


Week 12: Sandman Triathlon

The second week of school kicked my butt even more than the first. I still got my runs and weights in but that was about it. However, it worked out since I had the Sandman Triathlon on Sunday. It ended up being the perfect taper. I had a great race too! Very chilly (54 degrees) ocean swim with some nauseating swells (750 yards). I was surprisingly slow. Maybe because I was against the current? Anyway, it took me over 20 minutes! The bike was only 13 miles but very hilly. I took my road bike and ended up just riding my regular wheels, which was definitely slower. However, it rained, making the roads very slippery. Maybe it was a blessing in disguise. The bike took me 53 minutes. The run was 4 miles in sand. Lots of holes and seaweed to dodge. My shoes got soaking wet. I felt strong but definitely not fast. I think the trail running helped. Overall, I came in just under 2 hours. It was a fun workout. I had a great time and will definitely do that again. 














Water was cold (60 degrees). 3/4 mile swim-long for a sprint but fun!
Bike is only 12 or 13 miles but very hilly with lots of short, steep climbs and fun but windy descents through the beautiful hills of Aptos. The ride is beautiful and very scenic. 
This 4-mile run is always a big challenge since it is on the sand. This year, much of the sand had been recently washed away, leaving a steep and unpredictable slope down to the surf. This meant that I was running with one hip slightly below the other when I ran close to the waves, where the sand is usually the most compact (easier to run on). In order to run in more flat sand, I would have to leap up to deep sand. In addition, the beach isn't closed, meaning the entire course becomes a technical obstacle course. I have to keep my eyes peeled constantly for darting children, frisbees and dogs, fishermen and their lines, seaweed, logs, numerous holes, and other fun surprises. For some reason, I actually really enjoy this part of the Sandman. I have no expectations for going fast and find my mind completely occupied with where to put my feet. The miles fly by as I am challenged both cardiovascularly and mentally. 






No comments: