Monday, June 02, 2008

Weekend Excursions

...Bike experiment is ongoing. Stay tuned for the results....
Day 1 is in progress. I will post data from Day 1 tonight!

It probably wasn't such a good idea to hit it as hard as I did this weekend but at least I had fun. To clue you in on how my legs are feeling, I have to divulge a little of my crazy weekend.

Saturday, I went for a beautiful, scenic, yet hilly Tour of San Diego 62-mile ride with a group of about 15. It was a wonderful ride--gorgeous views, perfect weather, and great company. We hit Torrey Pines, Mission Bay, Point Loma, Sunset Cliffs, Mt. Soledad, and La Jolla Shores. Afterwards, we dined at Soupplantation before my 2-hour nap. I slept like a baby Sat night!
http://sdbikeroutes.blogspot.com/2008/05/58-mile-mission-bay-ride.html

Sunday, I woke up early for my long run in Penasquitos Canyon with my great running group of gals. The weather was nice and cool, and I loved the extra work required mentally to carefully traverse the rocks, sand, and hills. Trail running is the best!

At mile 8, we encountered a thick-bodied, 4-foot rattlesnake, coiled and ready to strike on the side of the trail. Luckily, a group running the other way had warned us so we were ready. Actually, he was very pretty. I stopped to watch him as he slithered off. I think he was more scared of us than we were of him.

After our tough 9-mile run, we had a big breakfast. I forced myself to do my errands and chores before settling down for my early afternoon nap. Brent called me that afternoon and invited me on his long run with his running group. I have never, in my life, woken up from my Sunday nap after my long run and thought to myself, Hmm. My long run wasn't long enough. I want to run more! But this Sunday was different. Run again? I think I will! Great idea! I put on my running shoes, visor, sunglasses, and strapped on my Fuelbelt, and off I went. I ran another 10 miles. And felt awesome. I can't believe I ran 19 miles Sunday for no good reason! Just to see if I could. And it felt great.

Afterwards, while the other runners soaked their legs in the ocean, I threw on my wetsuit, cap and goggles and headed out past the breakers for a swim while everyone shook their heads in disbelief. It was very soothing to go for a relaxing swim after my long run.

I'm definitely sore today but I don't feel like I ran 19 yesterday! We'll see what tomorrow brings.

3 comments:

Kevin said...

Wow. Sounds like a great weekend. You sure put in some tough training. Its good to see you are still enjoying it

Wes said...

I would definitely respect the rattlesnake, and enjoy his beauty!! Well done!!!

JMoTriBella said...

You have proven to me that you are CRAZY! Hopefully one day I can be like you! You rock! :)