Monday, May 19, 2008

Sometimes It's Okay to DNS

DNS--Did Not Start

I was supposed to do Encinitas Sprint Triathlon this weekend. I was excited. I had never done this one before, and it's a secret goal of mine to do every local triathlon in the area at some point in my life. Living in San Diego, this goal becomes more ambitious with each passing year (too many races--I know, I know; such problems I have).

I registered on Saturday and previewed the transition area, the swim, the bike, the run. I pumped up the race wheels on Torch, pinned my bib number onto my race belt, and laid out my race clothes. I was ready.

Later that evening, I realized I had a pounding headache, felt exhausted, and was kind of naseous. I popped a Tigan for my tummy and went to bed at 9:30, setting 2 alarms for 4:25 and 4:30 am. Maybe it was the 4,800 feet of climbing in the 40 miles I had ridden that morning in East County in 90-degree heat (pretty smart, huh?). Maybe it was being robbed earlier in the week. Maybe it was being uprooted and living somewhere other than home for the past 5 days since I didn't feel safe in my own bed. Regardless, I was wiped.

I woke at 4:25 am. Laid in bed for 5 minutes, weighing the pros and cons. Debating. Justifying. Deliberating. When the second alarm went off at 4:30 am, the jury was in. I was out. I simply did not have it in me that morning to race. I felt sick and exhausted. I was not excited to race that morning. So I bailed.

I am not a pro. Triathlon-ing is my passion, my hobby, and I plan on keeping it as such. If I force myself to race "C" races on under-the-weather days, I will not last long in this demanding sport. It took a great amount of effort not to chastise myself yesterday for bowing out. But I know I did the right thing.

Right now, I'm happy to be back in my own bed. The bunnies are happy to be home. I'm still wrapping up loose ends from the robbery. Probably will be for a little while yet. However, I get to resume some semblance of a routine, and I look forward to this structure. I can't wait for my workouts the rest of this week!

7 comments:

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

You can always do the race next year!

triguyjt said...

there will be many more races as you are well aware...

sorry to hear about the robbery....

hope your okay

Wes said...

Glad to hear that things are returning to as normal as they can be after that kind of shiz. I'm still furious about it :-(

Triathletes get a reputation for being type "A" personalities. Thanks for keeping us all on an even keel :-)

BTW: I LOVE MY HAT :-D

Sarah said...

Sounds like a wise choice. That is a lot to go through, and to even attempt racing. I'm so sorry that you had to experience something so awful and I hope that soon you'll feel safe again.

Marcy said...

It's all good :-) You've been through a lot! Hang in there chica, hopefully you'll feel better soon.

Cliff said...

Smart move..besides u did an IM this year...plenty of time to take some rest..

BTW, i read about the robbery and sorry to hear about that.

Stef0115 said...

Sounds like you made the right decision. Good job keeping things in perspective and I hope that you feel safe again in your own home very soon. Pet the buns for me. :-)