Thursday, May 29, 2008

Less Is More--Part Deux

After my massage last night, I had an hour left of sunset. Perfect for a quick out-and-back coastal bike ride. I popped Torch out of the truck, hopped on and was off. My computer wasn't working. At first, this infuriated me. A few minutes later, I was relieved. I was free of worrying about my pace. All I had to think about was making it back to the truck before it got dark. I settled into a relaxed pace and began to enjoy myself. I turned around in Carlsbad and headed south as the sun began to sink into the horizon. Now, I was racing the sunset--my favorite. The ocean was a deep turquoise, flecked with gold as the fading sunlight scattered across the water. I slowed down to watch the last remnant of the sun dip into the ocean. Then, I pedaled the last few miles back to the truck.

I slept like a baby for 9 hours last night. Woke up this morning, and went on another short ride before work. My new philosophy is to do my workouts for health and mental sanity. I will keep the same frequency as before (so I can sleep at night) but drastically reduce the volume. Intensity will be based on how I'm feeling. I'm not currently in "training." I'm just having fun.

3 comments:

Wes said...

I'm just having fun.

Sometimes, its necessary to start over at the root of all things :-)

Kevin said...

Great plan. just go out and have fun and at some point you may catch the bug to go back to training/racing mode

triguyjt said...

wasn't it fun, just racing the sunset...that damn bike computer can ruin a good ride sometimes...
better without it once in a while...

hope that refreshed you