Sunday, August 06, 2023

Mt. Tam Marin Century

 I rode the Mt. Tam Marin Century Saturday (Aug. 5). I didn't think I could do it. It had been 5 years since I had ridden my bike that far. And it was almost 9,000 feet of climbing. My longest ride had only been 68 miles with 5,000 feet of climbing. Was I ready? I knew I had done these before, but that was a long time ago. The only memories I retained was how much pain and suffering was involved. But I had decided if I could do a century, I could do the Santa Cruz 70.3 bike portion more confidently. 


We started before 7 am. Anxiety made it easy to rise early, eat, and ride in silence for 90 minutes to Novato. What had I signed up for? It was cold at the beginning and everything was covered in a dense, wet blanket of tule fog. I started off with a full jersey of electrolytes and food, donning a thin windbreaker, arm warmers, and headband, only to remove them fifteen minutes later. Even though the temperature started at 54 degrees, it quickly rose. Soon the fog rolled away and the sun heated exposed sections of Mt. Tam to mid 70s. 

The first 8 miles were the worst for me. I felt sluggish, and everyone and their grandma was zipping by me. I'm not a speedy person, and I take a long time to warm-up. I'm also a slow climber, and the bulk of the climbing arrived immediately. Having a riding partner was immensely helpful. We focused on the first aid station, about 30 miles in, which seemed to take forever to reach. We stopped, and I ate excitedly-I was hungry! I immediately felt better, and by the time we reached the next aid station at mile 42, I was finally feeling warmed up.


We formed a mini paceline  along the windy flats on Highway 1; there was a mild southbound headwind. I enjoyed our tour of Marin County as we wound around Mt. Tam,  Nicasio Reservoir, Stinson Beach, Olema, Marshall and Point Reyes. I couldn't believe how much I was enjoying myself. I had worried about a lot more pain and suffering. The final 3-mile climb up Marshall was my favorite because I still felt good, and I just settled into my well-practiced base pace. I was not fast, but I got a great workout, and I enjoyed myself as well. 

“There is freedom waiting for you,
On the breezes of the sky,
And you ask "What if I fall?"
Oh but my darling,
What if you fly?”
― Erin Hanson




-Stafford Lake Park (Novato. Start/finish).





-Nicasio Reservoir (I loved the bagpipes!)


-morning tule fog moving west around Mt. Tam



-We did it! Time to eat!


More Pics!







No comments: