Thursday, December 23, 2010

6 Weeks; It Takes 6 Weeks



How long does it take to see a difference in fitness upon commencement of regular workouts? 6 weeks. A full 6 weeks. After 6 months of vegetating, it has taken me 6 weeks of struggling, toiling, sweating, pain and agony to get to the point where it's not so hard anymore. I'm not any faster, and I can't go much farther but at least it feels easier.

I ran 8 miles on Sunday, and, for the first time, my long run went well. I felt strong the entire way, maintaining a consistent pace. Also, it's not taking me as long to recover after each workout. I also find that it's easier to get out the door. I'm beginning to look forward to the workouts and have more energy for them. So that's the good news. I still have a long way to go but at least it's getting easier!

I've been struggling for 6 weeks. I've gotten this far; I'm certainly not going to let it go easily again. I had a terrific 4 (slow) mile run this morning and had enough oomph to swim this evening. Yay me! Just in time for the holidays! Of course, I picked a terrific time to get into shape. Argh.

Happy Holidays!!!

7 comments:

Karen said...

Awesome, glad it all seems to be coming together :) Have a great Christmas!

Unknown said...

That's awesome, it feels good to have it all coming together again, huh?

Chris and Amy said...

Woohoo! Great job sticking the hard part out. I love the cardinals! I've been living out of the states for almost 6 years and I miss those beautiful birds!

Christi said...

WooHoo!

Shorty said...

Great job getting back into it! As a new triathlete it's great to hear that even the pros take a while to get into peak condition.

ggrad said...

Well done what happens when you don't work out for 2 years :)
STG

Izzy said...

Your blog is an inspiration, I'm going to include it in the blogs I follow on my page! I just started training for a sprint triathlon and love reading about your progress! I hope it is ok if I include you in my blog