Monday, November 15, 2010

Back in the Saddle...Again

"It's not the number of times you fall that matters but the number of times you get up."
--Confucius

I've had a lot of false starts. I'm hoping this one is for real. Greg and I woke up "early" (6:30) on Saturday morning to join the tri club for a little 30-mile ride on the coast. I was a little anxious. How slowly would I ride? Would I be all by myself? Would I be laughed at in front of my peers? My fears were unnecessary. As I rolled up, I was warmly greeted by many smiling faces, familiar faces who I had not seen in months.

As we headed down the coast, I chatted happily with long lost friends. I felt absolutely fantastic. I hammered down the hills and began thinking about what an awesome cyclist I was....until I hit a hill. Cyclists zipped past me as I toiled slowly up each little mole hill on what is typically considered a "flat" ride. Oh, well. What can I expect? Nonetheless, my spirits were soaring the entire time.

About mile 20, Greg and I started to feel it. The last 10 miles were a struggle but I put my head down and pushed, hard, finishing strong. I felt wonderful. We grabbed some coffee and joined some friends for a relaxing, post-ride chat. I got to reunite with so many friends I hadn't seen in months! It was a blast. Just what I wanted.

Sunday, Greg and I took the boys (Floyd and Travis) for a leisurely 4-mile run. Except my body doesn't know the difference between leisurely and annihilating anymore. The simple act of moving is a lot of work for me right now! Unfortunately, we waited until 10 am to go (so I could have a big breakfast, yummy!), and it was pretty hot. Okay, like upper 70s but enough to make it uncomfortable. I was a bit concerned, especially considering how sore I was after the ride on Saturday. Luckily, my muscle memory kicked in, and I quickly settled into a slow but steady jog. Of course, it's pretty easy to keep the feet turning over when you have two excited dogs chomping at the bit. Extra motivation! It's pretty easy to run when you can soak up the oozing happiness of two trotting pups with grins from ear to ear on their faces. The run was tough; I'm not going to lie. But I refused to walk, not even once, even when I toiled up the hills where I've humbly walked over the last few months. But not today! Walking was not an option. As my heart rate soared, I slowed my pace but maintained my rhythm. It was a tough but rewarding run.

Afterwards, I was pretty beat. My body felt like I had ridden 60 and run 12. I took a long nap and laid around the rest of the day, simply recovering. Right now, I can get through a small workout but every little bit of exercise makes my muscles ache and scream. It's definitely a reality check. I'm sore today. Very sore. And it feels great.

7 comments:

TRI714 said...

GOOD !!!!!!!!!! Way to re engage !!

Wes said...

you could've gone a bit bigger :-)

Christi said...

Awesome! Welcome back!

Richard Rush said...

always good to restart and get motivated...

What I would give for your weather, we are getting 3 inches of snow tonight :/

Richard (www.blaznfast.com)

meg said...

Hey I just cam across your blog and am excited to read along!! I am just do sprints at the moment but am aiming to do olympics next season. My husband and I just started a triathlon clothing company called addict sportswear. It's cute casual and performance tee's. We will also have jerseys and tri tops in the next few months. Please check it out and if you like something, maybe we can send you something in exchange for promoting it on your website. Thanks, Good luck in your next race! addictsportswear.com

Ann ~ Sporty Girl Jewelry said...

Good for you! Looking forward to following your progress. Any tips for actually enjoying a pool workout?!

Richard Rush said...

My tip for enjoying swims is variety and good company and not dong too much lung busting hard stuff.

Richard (www.blaznfast.com)