Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Back in the Pool!

I was tired Monday but I wearily resolved to go for a dip. Swimming is such a great recovery workout. I had my doubts. Afterall, I was so sore and tired from my bike and run over the weekend that I had to rest at the top of the stairs after climbing them gimpily like an old lady. I was so tired. Sore. Achy. Wah, wah. Off to the pool I went.

I had no expectations. My goal was to try to keep my heart rate up in the water for at least 30 minutes without drowning. I jumped in. BRRRR! The initial chill of the water was like a cattle prod. I took off, zipping back and forth for 100 yards. My arms felt leaden and my stroke felt awkward but I was able to get through my warm-up without much struggle. Then, I began my 500 yard free swim. I incorporate this with every workout. It's so great to prepare for long distance swims required in triathlon as well as a good test to see where you're at. It wasn't pretty. I got to 300 yards and wanted to quit. I kept slogging through the water. I reached 500 and took a well-deserved breather. The rest of the workout flew by. Yes, I was slow, and my arms were heavy and my stroke clumsy. But the half moon glowed in the sky overhead. It was gorgeous. That alone was well-worth the trouble.

I only swam 1500 before treating myself to a dip in the hot tub. I patted myself on the back for simply getting through it. Then, I went home and planned out my race season for 2011 (see sidebar). The excitment is building!

6 comments:

Shorty said...

I'm a new triathlete (have done two sprint tris, am signed up for an Ironman 70.3 in August 2011 - yikes) and new runner (have run a 9mi race at the longest, signed up for a marathon in May 2011) and I really enjoy/appreciate your blog. Keep it up! Inspiring stuff.

Chris and Amy said...

Alright, I'm headed to the pool! I have Master's swim this morning and was thinking of skipping it because I just couldn't sleep last night, but if you can swim when that sore, I can swim tired.
That looks like quite the reace schedule for 2011. Vietnam would be cool - just factor in the humidity when coming up with goal times.

MissFancyPants said...

Congratulations!! I love hearing about your motivation, definitely helps me! Keep it up!

Christi said...

Great lookin' schedule!

Alisa said...

OOOOOOOOOOH ultramarathon next fall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TRI714 said...

I like your race mix. I likethat your re engaged too :-)