Saturday, September 16, 2017

Ironman Wisconsin: 4th for 40!

I signed up for Ironman Wisconsin this week. Yes. I'm pinching myself. I signed up for another Ironman. Three wasn't enough. I thought I was donewith Ironmans. Shit, I thought I was done with triathlons. I'm pinching myself. I'm so excited. I'm so happy I signed up. It's been having a very motivational and healthy impact on my life. I'm starting to maintain some semblance of balance again, the first time since I've begun teaching. Feels so right.

It's been 7 years. I'm feeling really fit and healthy after training consistently for the last 16 weeks. I'm turning 40 in October. I would love to celebrate my 4th for 40 by showing myself I still got it. Why Wisconsin? I went to college there and haven't been back since 2006.

I crashed 3 weeks ago and recovered very quickly. I took 1 week off from training to let the swelling go down and the skin regrow. I was worried I had lost fitness; afterall, I felt stale and weak after a week of rest. Not to worry. I knew after a solid trainer ride, that I was back. A run, weights, and swim followed the next couple of days. 2 weeks after the fall, I did the Redemption Ride, except tackling Page Mill Road up before turning around and going down. It was a tough but rewarding and well-worth-it ride. I've been feeling stronger in my workouts since, almost as if I gained fitness in my week off.

Week's Laundry List of Workouts:
Monday's workout: HOT (91 degrees and muggy--it actually thundered afterwards) 5 mi run in Wonderlich. Up 2 miles, around the meadows 1 mile, then a fun downhill the last 2 miles. Quiet, shady, and wonderful.

Tuesday: Swim (2800 yds) --descending ladder (300 warm up, 500, 400, 300, 200, 100, 4x50, 500 cold down) in Burgess Pool. Times steady. Felt verrry tired at beginning of workout, refreshed at the end.

Wednesday: off--tired & busy

Thursday: 45 minutes trainer ride--Spinerval DVD ("No Slackers Allowed") surprisingly quick and effective. Followed by weights. I can't believe I eked out this workout after a 2 hour nap! I was soooo tired but I did it anyway. No regrets.

Friday: 5 mile run after work up Valparaiso. Pushed myself up hill by Sharon Park at halfway point. Felt quick and strong! Had a 90 min. massage afterwards!

Saturday: 8 mile HILLY run in Rancho San Antonio. Despite the crowds, I absolutely love Rancho. I can't believe I ran all the uphills! Remember, what goes up, must come down. Running in the shade downhill after hot, sweaty uphills is SO much fun! I needed water (it was in the low 80s). I'd like to go 10 miles with water next time.

At the end of the run, I was alone and enjoying the solace, having sought out the hillier, more exposed trails. Movement flickered to my right. I scoured the dry grassy field. Suddenly, I spotted a large animal, gracefully loping through the grass, his fur perfectly matching the tawny stalks. He looked half-dog/half-fox with a bushy tail, thin, muscular body, and large red ears. He was a very healthy, gorgeous coyote. I felt honored to be able to have spotted this shy fellow on such a busy day in the park.

On the final trail next to the parking lot, I saw a couple up ahead, pointing frantically to something that looked like a log on the trail. I realized it was a huge snake, 4-5 feet long. I stopped and approached cautiously before realizing it didn't have a rattle. He was thick and had dark chocolate criss crosses on his back, overlying a lighter tan/yellow color beneath, which matched his belly. Tiny specks of sepia brown flecked his sides as if they had been splashed on with clay. He was beautiful. He didn't like me studying him for he quickly slid off into the grass with impressive acceleration.

No comments: