Saturday, May 31, 2008

The 7-Day Bike Experiment

Gas prices are now over $4/gallon in San Diego. Plus, I totally missed Bike Commute Week http://www.californiabikecommute.com/ 2 weeks ago. Therefore, I decided to embark on a new journey, an experiment, if you will. Afterall, I am a scientist.
Beginning Monday, June 2nd, I will bike instead of drive, everywhere I need to go. For the next 7 days, I will not be allowed to make any forward progress in a motor vehicle. I will have to rely on my bikes or my own 2 feet. Strider and Bluebell (my commuter bike and old road bike) will be put to the test for most of this work. The experiment will last through Sunday, June 8th. I will blog about it each day. I hope you follow along and maybe are even inspired to participate!
Pedal on...

8 comments:

Kevin said...

Sounds like a great plan. Cant wait to see how it goes. I wish it were easier to commute by bike where here in Georgia

Marcy said...

I was wondering how you homies in Cali were faring on gas. Don't you all have some of the highest gas prices?!?

Totally a great idea! Saving on gas and one less vehicle to pollute :-)

Rainmaker said...

Interesting idea! Maybe after I watch you do it, I'll have to give it a whirl. I really have no excuse for not doing it.

Ryan D said...

it can be done!

http://tntsdhrdenner.blogspot.com/2007/10/life-can-be-lived-without-car.html

Leah said...

Sounds v. cool. Can't wait to hear how it goes...

Renee said...

I started riding my bike to work about two weeks ago, and I love it! You notice so much more around you and it is really a peaceful way to start the day!

triguyjt said...

I am jealous, but deep down also realize, I really should be doing this, at least one or two days a week. I only live 9 miles...if that from work.
good for you and I look forward to all your posts on it..

Shan said...

SWEEEEEEET! You'll find that although riding everywhere will force you to re-evalutate the "errands" you need to get done, you'll feel SO free just riding everywhere. I do 95% of my "getting around town" on a bike, and I LOVE IT. And only having to buy a tank of gas 1 time per month is fabulous.

Glad to see you're jumping on the bike commuter bandwagon. Hope it ends up lasting more than a week :)